Shooter McGavin

Bonding Double Layer Belts ?

Just curious if anyone has an easy way for bonding the double layer belts. Typically I just use the contact cement, wait until dry, then bang the pieces together with a 5 pound deadblow but as order volume builds, my elbow and should are starting to hate that method.

I was thinking of something like a pasta roller or maybe an old clothes wringer but figure there has to be an alternative? Tandy has an embosser that I am considering modifying but I hate to gamble with 500 bucks.

What do you guys do?

Cuddle bug paper embosser might do it. I've used it to emboss some bracelets with the wife's paper dies, worked well and the unit is about $50. Also the roller unit from an old wringer washing machine might do. I'll check the thickness on the embosser.

The rollers are about 1" apart and 5-6 in wide, you would have to make a spacer the length of your belts and sandwich the leather between those or just let the roller press directly on the leather. The rollers are spring loaded so you may have to play with the thickness of your spacers. JoAnn has some 50% off coupons. Might take a bit of goofing but I bet it can be done.

I have also seen towel wringers like on a wringer washer but I imagine with all thr pinched fingers those are not made anymore

Edited by J Hayes

Hey, Shooter, . . . you're spending far too much time thinking about this my friend.

Use a pie dough roller, . . . just don't let your wife catch you using hers.

Seriously, . . . whoever told you that you have to whack it and beat it after you put it together just seriously does not know the product. I've been using Weldwood since the late 60's on furniture, cabinets, leather, cloth, and probably stuff I don't even remember.

I just . . . NEVER, . . . EVER did anything more than push the two together with a rolling pin or something similar and have again NEVER had a customer complain.

The word contact means touching, . . . not beating, . . .

May God bless,

Dwight

Curious, why would you make a belt that is double layered? I would think a single ply would work better.

I use weldwood or 3M spray adhesive for belts. once bonded and stitched it will be good to go. If I feel the need to stick it together with pressure, like the old cook in lonesome dove said " I can whack it if I want to!" LOL. If you making more than one at a time, line them up next to each other and spray them all at once. Makes things go a lot faster with out sacrificing quality.

Bob

FWIW from the grumpy guy: I use an old wallpaper roller. The thing is to get the two pieces together evenly. then allow a bit of time for the chemical action to take place. Glue them up, stick 'em together, and give it overnight to 'cure' Just my 2cent's worth. Mike

A lined belt that will equal about 14-16 ounces is the thing for concealed carry. If not, alined belt totaling 10-12 ounces is sturdy and looks very good stitched properly. Single layer dress/casual belt are good.

I have used Welwood for months and the other day it came to me - heat gun. And I read it here somewhere later that day. You use a heat gun on Wledwood to accelerate drying and you better be lined up when you put 'em together. And a rolling pin.

Matt I'm going to give that a try.

I've tried the rolling pin but it's awkward and the pin is ~12" wide whereas the belt is only 1-1/2" or so.

Geneva, I use two pieces of 7-8oz leather to make a 14-16oz double layer belt. They are way stiffer than any 16oz single layer belt I can build which helps keep the holsters nice and tight to the body.

Thanks all for the advice, lots of good ideas, dont stop now! Very much appreciated!

A lined belt that will equal about 14-16 ounces is the thing for concealed carry. If not, alined belt totaling 10-12 ounces is sturdy and looks very good stitched properly. Single layer dress/casual belt are good.

I have used Welwood for months and the other day it came to me - heat gun. And I read it here somewhere later that day. You use a heat gun on Wledwood to accelerate drying and you better be lined up when you put 'em together. And a rolling pin.

It may have been someone else there Red, . . . but I use a heat gun almost constantly any more. To heck with wasting time (or trying to find something else to do) when all I need done is some weldwood solvent burned off.

So far, I've burned up 2 of them 12 dollar Harbor Freight heat guns, . . . and have even done a stint with my own personal hair dryer (though with what little I have left now, . . . probably ought to sell the dryer,.......), . . . and you are so right, . . . if the glue is dry and warm, . . . where you put it, . . . it sticks.

Part of my reasoning is the way my mind works, . . . if I lay something aside, . . . I have to spend time getting back up to speed on that project, . . . whereas if I can just keep plodding along, . . . I usually will not forget some critical piece like the backing for a concho, . . . a rivet here or a puched hole there. Laying it down while it dries is an invitation for disaster in my poor old codger mind.

May God bless,

Dwight

I use one of these --

http://www.carpettool.net/349_cmyk.jpg

They're heavy, the right width, and enable you to get a lot of pressure down on the belt.

My belts are almost a quarter of an inch thick, so you've really got to press on them .

tk

My two cents worth.

Just use the contact adhesive and when tacky put the two together and press. Make sure they are line up.

You could use a "jewellers rolling mill" but not sure if you would find one at the right price.

I use a modified one for embossing. Picture attached.

Good luck

post-2565-0-39261900-1385972930_thumb.jp

post-2565-0-63028100-1385972943_thumb.jp

post-2565-0-34844000-1385972945_thumb.jp

I like that Trevor, but none that I found with a quick search seem to open wide enough (~1/4")

A Laminate Roller would be just the thing for what you're doing. They are actually made for, of all things, pressing contact cemented items together! The leverage you get multiplies the force much more than a bakers rolling pin. Lot's of different styles available at multiple places, including Lowes and Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co...Laminate Roller

Edited by evandailey

Just curious if anyone has an easy way for bonding the double layer belts. Typically I just use the contact cement, wait until dry, then bang the pieces together with a 5 pound deadblow but as order volume builds, my elbow and should are starting to hate that method.

I was thinking of something like a pasta roller or maybe an old clothes wringer but figure there has to be an alternative? Tandy has an embosser that I am considering modifying but I hate to gamble with 500 bucks.

What do you guys do?

this is what i use...lowes had them for 10 bucks or so...

post-30702-0-23686900-1386129651_thumb.j

Curious, why would you make a belt that is double layered? I would think a single ply would work better.

You laminate them to make them stiffer to support an OWB holster more effectively. Stiffer belts don't have to be tightened as much to support an OWB holster, so they end up being more comfortable. Lots of top-quality belts even have a stiffener running the length, sandwiched between the two layers of leather.

tk

I've had visions of finding an old washing machine, with those hand crank ringers on top?

But then thought I was over-thinking the process...I just hand rub the two pieces together with a scrap of leather, never had a belt come apart on me yet.

Hey, Shooter, . . . you're spending far too much time thinking about this my friend.

Use a pie dough roller, . . . just don't let your wife catch you using hers.

Seriously, . . . whoever told you that you have to whack it and beat it after you put it together just seriously does not know the product. I've been using Weldwood since the late 60's on furniture, cabinets, leather, cloth, and probably stuff I don't even remember.

I just . . . NEVER, . . . EVER did anything more than push the two together with a rolling pin or something similar and have again NEVER had a customer complain.

The word contact means touching, . . . not beating, . . .

May God bless,

Dwight

Yep, a rolling pin ought to do the job. You might even be able to find a marble one to match your slab.

I've been using my little A frame press with some press blocks to bond the pieces. Seems to be working fine and is saving lots of wear and tear on my elbow!

I lay mine in the driveway and run over them with my truck. Also embosses with tread marks at the same time.......NO, not really. I also use a laminate roller. Don't use a sledge when a tack hammer will do. If glued properly, that and the stitching will create very strong bond.

Tim