SergioVO

Leather Harnesses, What Kind Of Leather?

Hello everyone, I am new to this community and look forward to learning a few things about leather.

I have a question, perhaps someone can point me in the right direction on where to buy leather to make a leather harness such as the one worn by the gentleman on the right:

harnessess_zps6de0a654.jpg

I bought a side of black cow hide but it was too thin and so the first harnesses I made feel "cheap".

Where could I buy hide suitable for this at a good price? I am in San Diego, California.

I need to get me one of those leather garrison caps so I can look that cool...ooooo... :guitar:

I would request access to the members only adult section and ask in there - lots of people working on such items.

Thank you very much. Who do I ask? Where is this section, is it hidden from main view?

Thank you very much. Who do I ask? Where is this section, is it hidden from main view?

Yes, it is hidden from the general membership so that people who don't want to see it don't accidentally stumble there. You can request access by sending Johanna a message.

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showuser=5

Hi there. The type of leather you require is veg tanned either a bridle or russet and it has to be about 3.0mm to 4.0mm thick. Now in the States you people measure the leather by weight . but any good leather dealer will tell you how thick it is. Go and buy the skin yourself. Don't mail order or you will end up with rubbish. Hunt down the good stuff. Look up in your local directory or phone book where the tannery's are and go there and buy what you want. Most craft shops will sell it but be aware that it will be a higher price and maybe not such good quality. Go to the tannery is the answer. Ask for DYE-Thru as well. this is where the leather is dyed all the way through so when you cut it its not just lightly coloured on either side. You still need edge dye and finishing sealer to finish off the edges etc. Good luck ..

Looking at the picture, those look a lot like the ones I have made, I just use belt blanks for the most part because it's quicker than cutting them myself, or 4/6 veg tanned for some sections (I think, I am sorry I am not experienced enough to fully understand the types of leather). The arm band is stitched, so a softer leather, prone to stretching though. Some of the cheaper harness are made that way as well. Cant tell for sure, but I think the harness might be the same. The centre one looks like mine, as noted above, the one with the chains looks a bit thinner, I would say 3 oz, which would mean purely fashion, won't hold up to any tension.