renegadelizard

Permalok Needle?

Hey all,

I have decided to adventure into braiding after my last western holster, and to say that im a complete idiot when it comes to this is an understatement...ive looked al over the net trying to find tutorials, and other than learning to tie a 4 bight round braid, a terminal knot, and a wall knot, ive come up empty as it applies to leather braiding....there is a gazillion tutorials on paracord however...im guessing its kind of the same...one of the things i noticed is that they all use a permalok needle...do you leather braiders use one as well?...if so, what size...SLC has regular, jumbo, and i think extra jumbo...the lace i have right now is flat 3mm lace....and help with this or any help at all would be awesome....im currently trying to find Bruce Grant’s Encyclopedia of Rawhide and Leather Braiding at a reasonable price, so i know until i get that i wont go anywhaere fast unless its maybe nowhere, but i still like to tinker...

Go read the threads I've posted in this section as most of them deal with the same problems you might encounter in understanding these knots...I use the jumbo permalock, but they're cheap so I'd probably get one of each if I were you. The size really depends on the size lace you're going to use...if you switch to smaller lace later, you'll find a smaller needle works better. There are some that do not use needles at all and just make a gap with a fid and feed the lace through that gap. There are many tutorials on the internet, so you can get by for now without the Grant book. Check out my threads and questions I've posted...many of them have been answered. (Some haven't and it doesn't look like they ever will...)

What TXAG said. I just use a fid when working with leather.You have to cut the leather to a nice point on the end first. Then just stick the fid where you want the leather to go, pull it out and feed the end of the leather in. Goes in easier than you might think. If using paracord then you will find a needle works some better. With paracord you have to cut the end at an angle and burn it to a point then just screw it into the needle end. Works pretty good most of the time.

If you want the Grant books at the best price - Amazon. I seriously don't know why Tandy thinks they have to double the price of everything.

okay, i got few knots figured out now...is there an easy way to dress a knot?...it takes me twice as long to dress a knot as to tie it....

That question may bring up some interesting answers. With practice you'll get to where you keep them more even &he tension right while your tying them. I roll them, pound with a piece of hardwood (I use a piece of a pick handle on a marble slab) & even up the ends with curved needle nose pliers. Be neat to see what others do. Buck

To dress up a knot, I use a rawhide mallet and hit it and turn at the same time. Then sweep the floor and roll under the ball of my foot. For Bosal bodies get an old clothes wringer or buy the ones they sell for the car wash guys to wring out the wiping rags between cars. Shove the Bosal body in and crank all the way to the end and twist and crank back. Back and forth to seat all the V's. Then roll under your foot. Years ago I had access to an old electric wringer. That worked really slick. Just be careful to make sure the old rollers are clean, they can stain the rawhide or leather. How's that, Buck, Merry Christmas to all, Brad

That's what I'm talkin' about. I thought it might turn up some neat techniques. That's one I've never heard of, but I like it. Buck

One more. Chase it around with a heavy rolling pin. That will smooth up the sides of a Bosal body after it's all complete and pulled together, mainly leather. Just make sure, as in fingernail cutters to cut string, you buy your own rolling pin and not get caught with the one your wife uses at home! Brad

You're on a roll. Sorry, I couldn't help myself. Buck

Excellent reply, Buck. Have a great and Merry Christmas. Brad

Thanks Brad, Merry Christmas to you & yours as well. Buck

now im real confused..you guys are hitting the knot to tighen it up?...im talking about something like a 4x5 turks head or a spanish ring knot on a bracelet...

No, the knot has to be tight first. Start at the beginning & follow clear thru the finished knot tightening as you go. With practice you'll figure out how snug to make your base knot so that you don't have to do much tightening if any. Pounding & rolling is just to even out the finished knot. Good luck & hang in there. Buck

In response to type of needle used, I've been using the split needle for my Heelknots. I can get under 2/ over 2 pattern down without to much awl work but need awl to raise it up to u3/o3. This is with Roo string usually 1/32x just under 4/32. By split needle I mean the one that you open in the back end and it clamps together after you put in the string. I slice off any piece that sticks out at the start so it does'nt drag. Brad