BrrlRacerJunkie

Paint: Keeping Stain Color From "bleeding" Through

I have been doing some searching through forums history/archives in regards to painting & staining leather. I am doing some painting on leather and my question is about the staining. I've been using the Eco Flo All in One stains and more recently started using some of the Fiebings water based dyes in dark brown and chocolate as I prefer darker leather. My question is, how do I go about painting on those? I've noticed, especially with my white paints that they end up with a brown "tinge" to the white paint. In order to get rid of the tinge, it seems like I have to build up many many layers that possibly wouldn't be necessary if I could get rid of that tinge. I've tried deglazing my leather after staining but in order to get it "clean" enough to get rid of the tinge effect, I have to deglaze it so much that it really dries out the leather and gives it a gray haze.

I've just been making some items for myself like spur straps, bracelets, etc. So they need to be able to flex and such without the paint cracking/flaking/peeling. So far I've had great luck with my paint but just seem to struggle with the stains & dyes bleeding through my paint.

I would really like some advice on what I should do and would certainly appreciate the help. I have seen some people that paint their design on the unstained veg tan and then are able to stain after. I would imagine they would have to be using some kind of antique to do this as a liquid dye/stain wouldn't be very even if applied carefully around the design with a brush or wipe off the sealed painted area.

I could really use some advice on this and would certainly appreciate any and all suggestions! :)

You will most likely have to seal the dyed leather and then paint over it .

Another option would be buy your leather pre-dyed.

I sent you a pretty long email lol.

If you seal the leather and then paint it, wouldn't the paint just peel off? Especially on something that needs to be flexible like spur straps and bracelets?

@ReneeCanady

Yes, that was my thought too, that the paint would just peel off as the leather underneath would not allow the paint to adhere with the sealant between the two layers. Perhaps if the item did not need to flex but I think it would peel eventually. Thank you so much for responding to my message! :). I will go read it now!

If you seal the leather and then paint it, wouldn't the paint just peel off?

I haven't experienced that.

Sometimes I'll get a brownish layer after sealing and I'll just paint over it and reseal.

Spraying the sealer usually prevents the brown but it appeared on my last project after spray sealing.