stef73433

First Saddle Results

I have not been posing in quite a while, but I finished or should say almost finished, my first saddle this spring. I see a million things I'm not happy with now, but live and learn. I made fenders too long, buckles ended up way high, under the jockey or near to it. I need to cut and add leather Rosettes yet, lace rear skirt asking spine area. I'm really not thrilled how big the skirts appear,I was hoping for smaller.

Saddle is also heavier then I planned. I used 12 Oz leather I think it was, but I'd go thinner next saddle (barrel racing)

Not crazy about rigging, would probably choose different on next one too.

Pics

More

More

post-36557-0-59241700-1388200495_thumb.j

post-36557-0-68220100-1388200722_thumb.j

post-36557-0-66420000-1388200986_thumb.j

Stef,

It looks pretty good to me for a first effort. I just finished my first one a couple weeks ago. I have about 4 majors errors, maybe more if I keep looking. However, none of them are deal breakers, they are just reminders of places to improve. But at least it is comfortable.

I really like the style of you saddle and want to build my wife one that is similar. It will just be for trail riding, but I like the barrel saddle design. It must be light, so I appreciate your comments. Where did you get your pattern? Most of it I think I can figure out, but I have been struggling with the in skirt rigging. Everything I think of just gets heavier. Thanks for the feedback.

Randy

I got the patterns from dusty Johnson. I traced on tag board and then I modified them how I wanted then. I also used measurements off my current saddle. I also used Stohlman books as a reference

I think many people see things they want to change on the next saddle they build after looking at the one they just finished.

Think of it a a style change instead of a design flaw or something you didn't do right.

It's hard to give a real review of your saddle with the few pictures you have posted. Harder when it is on the horse too. But it looks like it sits well.

It looks like you have ridden it quite a bit, so it must be working for you.

The truth is, that's all that really matters anyway. If it works for you it's good to go.

Nice job.

Joel