Sign in to follow this  
yaklady

A Class I Taught

This past weekend I needed something to take my mind off the IFoLG show since I couldn't go, so I taught a class at the Littleton Tandy's. We made leather boxes, just the right size to put hand tools like modeling tools and edge bevellers in. I only managed to get pictures of four of them. How do you like that pink one???

Kathy

fall_pictures_010.jpg fall_pictures_008.jpgfall_pictures_007.jpg fall_pictures_006.jpg

post-1462-1222718017_thumb.jpg

post-1462-1222718068_thumb.jpg

post-1462-1222718192_thumb.jpg

post-1462-1222718309_thumb.jpg

Edited by yaklady

This past weekend I needed something to take my mind off the IFoLG show since I couldn't go, so I taught a class at the Littleton Tandy's. We made leather boxes, just the right size to put hand tools like modeling tools and edge bevellers in. I only managed to get pictures of four of them. How do you like that pink one???

Kathy

Those are nice Kathy. Did you create the pattern for the box yourself, or did you use one from somewhere else?

Marlon

Not my color Kathy but it looks great. I'd say time well spent.

Art

I'd love the pattern if you're sharing?

That's one PINK box, but honestly I think it's the nicest one in the pics.

Marlon,

I made the pattern myself, but it's easy. Al Stohlman's "The Art of Making Leather Cases, Vol. 2" page 41 tells you how to do it. I use thinner leather, 4/5 oz., add a cardboard stiffener and lining leather. This particular case is about 7" long, 3" wide and 2" high, just right for hand tools. When making a pattern, start with the bottom piece and work your way out. You'll be surprised at how simple it is.

Art,

It was time well spent. The students were talking about making cases for different purposes. If they make use of what they learned, it was certainly well worth the time!

Wildrose,

The pattern came from Bob Beard. It's the perfect pattern for a class like this because it has options. No one likes to make the same as everyone else. Some of the students even embossed the flower. I don't have a scanner to put the pattern onto the site, but I could mail you a copy if you pm me your address, or maybe someone else could post it for me.

The one with the intials was done by the manager of the store. He did the whole thing left handed (he's right handed). He wants to learn everything left handed so that he can better teach the people who come in to learn. The letters came straight off the computer, and the border was one I came up with.

I was doubtful about the pink, too, but it turned out awesome. I'm getting my own ideas for a pink case.

Kathy

Edited by yaklady