Hi

I've been practicing a few techniques and trying out a few ideas. Two of the phone cases are

Ii de, one with a turn over/French binding and the other with a separate strip binding. All three are designed to be either carried in a bag or on the strap.

The canteen holders were to practice butt stitching. They're ok but I can't get the hang of the curved awl & needles!

Messenger bag was my wife's Christmas present , which she loves. I did some market research with colleagues at work and have a commission for mk2!

As always advice welcome.

ps - the owner insisted I cover the clasp!

post-39933-0-62699000-1388791669_thumb.j

post-39933-0-69904600-1388791718_thumb.j

post-39933-0-84494200-1388791784_thumb.j

post-39933-0-88450400-1388791802_thumb.j

post-39933-0-50440400-1388791836_thumb.j

Hi

I've been practicing a few techniques and trying out a few ideas. Two of the phone cases are

Iined one with a turn over/French binding and the other with a separate strip binding. All three are designed to be either carried in a bag or on the strap. I dyed the darker one but the leather has gone very dry with a 'crispy' surface ?too much dye?

The canteen holders were to practice butt stitching. They're ok but I can't get the hang of the curved awl & needles! Both have belt loops and can be attached to a bag/strap.

Messenger bag was my wife's Christmas present , which she loves. I did some market research with colleagues at work and have a commission for mk2!

As always advice welcome.

ps - the owner insisted I cover the clasp!

They all look good. It's a beautiful job. I like the work that you've done. The stichings nicely done and the bags look well made. The leather in some of the items looks a little raw, They would look a little more finished if you would slick the leather before sewing it togeather. Put a little water on the leather and then buff the leather with something smooth. I use a short piece of oak that I sanded smooth. Then the leather will have a polished look to it. then finish it off with some Bag Kote. That will protect the leather. Rob

Thanks Rob.

I've lined a couple of smaller pieces which takes care of the rough inside surface. Need to make an edge finisher for my polishing motor and to invest in some edge kote.

Still, I'm quite pleased with them as they are projects 4 > 9 and I don't really count the two belts that were projects 2 & 3!

Thanks for the input.

Oh man love these ! really like the messenger bag can you give us sizes and is that all hand sewn?

Edited by bigorange

Hi Big O

Thanks for the kind words.

The phone holders are cased on blocks to fit an i-phone 4 and then by eye for the flaps. Now that I have one I like I'll make some card templates. I might even ask Black River Lazer to cut me some acrylic templates if they are popular.

Canteen coozies were made (on a piece of fence post!) to fit a 500ml/1pt stainless steel canteen. Dimensions are on various websites - Kleen Kanteen in the US. I bought a couple of cheap ones for strap heights etc.

Whilst I usually don't mind sharing I plan to make the messenger bag as a 'signature' piece so would like to be a bit vague. Suffice to say if you google messenger bags I'm sure you'll find more than enough information - I know I did.

All my pieces are hand sewn. I do have an old Singer that will sew leather but would like to perfect my hand skills before going down that route.

Thanks again for your support.

You can do burnishing by hand this way. http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=18101 or make your own with felt wheel from Dremil. or http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=51620&hl=%2Bmaking+%2Bburnisher

On the roughness of the leather. I wasn't talking about the inside of the bag. The surface on the outside or grain side can be burnished also, if it's veggie tanned leather. In this case slicked is is what its called. You cut the pieces for your project wet them. Wet it well don't over wet it. Give it five or ten mins to soak in, then rub the grain side of the leather "smooth part". I use a short section of flooring that I rounded the edges and rounded the corners with a plane, then sanded very smooth. Any rough places you have on your slicker will mess up your leather. You can buy something to do this. It could be glass, or plastic, it needs to be flat and smooth. The only ones I can remember right off hand is Barry Kings site http://barrykingtools.com/handtools.htm or Sheridan Leather. http://www.sheridanleather.com/Glass_Slicker_p/dt-glass-slicker.htm