superpacker

Temporary Gluing Leather For Stitching

Just to throw my two cents into the penny jar -

Skip the glues and cements. Get some of those black triangular paper clip things from staples..the ones with the silver tabs that you can flip forward and back. Put them along the seam of whatever you're working on and take them off as you progress around.

I messed around with glues and everything else and to be perfectly honest it just takes up too much time and you risk getting it all over the place or gluing your piece together weird.

Good luck.

Electrothon, are we talking about Elmer's Glue?

"You can use Tandy's Leatherweld or Elmers white wood glue which is about the same thing. It works OK but not the same grab that Barge's or Master's contact cements have. It does take longer to dry. Or you can just put a fan behind you while you are glueing."

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=35851

Electrothon, are we talking about Elmer's Glue?

No, Leatherweld looks like Elmer's, but is a little thicker and holds better ( I tried Elmer's did not like it).

Good tip, Aaron. Glue on edges is a real pain. I use a German glue (made by Renia) called Klebfest. It is almost impossible to 'unstick'! If anyone in the UK is looking I sell it on my website.

double sided tape works for me most of the time. I find that using cement glue too near the edges will have difficulty with the glue "bubble" forming when burnishing later.

Leatherweld .....white glue.... is used by all shoemakers and works well!!

But I use expensive Barge cement and often woodweld..both work well too...just what ever you get used to it and what works for you....they all three permanent glues !

Good tip, Aaron. Glue on edges is a real pain. I use a German glue (made by Renia) called Klebfest. It is almost impossible to 'unstick'! If anyone in the UK is looking I sell it on my website.

I ama huge fan of Renia, it has to be the most amazing contact cement ever. I have been amazed most leatherworkers are not flocking to it over the other glues available to them. Never heard of Klebfest, is it a version of contact or a white glue similar to leatherweld? I looked quickly and did not find it in America.