craftsman827

Measuring Leather By Sq. Ft.

I just received a double sholder from a company that I purchase my dyes, & finishers from, S-T Leather.

I purchased a 6/7 oz. double sholder. There was NO marking telling the sq. ft. only marked the weight " 6/7 "

I was charged for 20 sq. ft. The sholder is 50 inches at the longest spot, & 44 inches at the widest spot, which I figure to be aprox 16 sq ft. Has anyone ever purchased a piece of veg tanned leather with NO sq. ft. marking on it ??

That's a BIG shoulder! And, yes, 16 feet. Marked or not, that's 16 feet. You could take an ink pen, and write on the back 16.0, since that's how it's often done (or a marker).

Actually, from what I understand, . . . the "Oz" stands for "ounces per square foot".

So if you take a dial caliper and the leather measures between .094 and .109 and it weighs between 7 1/2 pounds and 8 3/4 pounds, . . . you got what you paid for.

The lower weight would correspond to the thinner thickness, . . . the higher weight, . . . the thicker measurement.

Some folks will tell you that it's all done by a laser and computer anymore, . . . and whether it is or not, . . . this is (I am told) supposed to be THE way to check out the sale, . . . period.

At least try it, . . . see how close you came out.

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

How much per sq foot was it?

What quality is the hide?

Edited by WScott