MuddyClearWaters

Thread Shredding Problem On Singer 110W124

So I have a singer 110W124 I use it every day for my work. I started on it using almost exclusively #138 top and bobbin thread with #22 needle and for the last two years has worked flawlessly. I've now started using #92 thread on this machine with a #18 needle. The problems seem to have started here. When I use the thinner thread it sews maybe 3-4 inches before the top thread becomes totally shredded. It unravels into individual strands. Another problem is the thread will jump sides on the needle causing a knot on the needle. The bottom bobbin thread also routinely pulls the top through and catches on the hook.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Is this a problem with timing? With thread tension? Needle size? I really don't want to start tweaking my my machine just yet...

Carson.

Maybe just crappy thread? I'll have to look I might have one of those, sewed really good with 92 but didn't like 138....

I prefer using a #19 or 20 needle with my #92 thread. It makes for less shredding and pulls the knots up more easily.

I prefer using a #19 or 20 needle with my #92 thread. It makes for less shredding and pulls the knots up more easily.

I'll try 20. I have those. Another note. It also has all the problems above if I use #138 top thread but use #92 on the bobbin.

Maybe just crappy thread? I'll have to look I might have one of those, sewed really good with 92 but didn't like 138....

I've used a bunch of different colors of 92 but they are all from the same supplier and they work some barley acceptable to terrible. The 138 is from different places and all works.

Hard to work out why it would shred the 138 on top if that is what you normally use. If the timing is out by a poofteenth of an inch it may cause an issue but usually is a top thread only issue.

Start at the basics. Is the hook in the middle of the needle scarf? Any burrs on or under the needle plate or hook/shuttle?

I'll try 20. I have those. Another note. It also has all the problems above if I use #138 top thread but use #92 on the bobbin.

I've used a bunch of different colors of 92 but they are all from the same supplier and they work some barley acceptable to terrible. The 138 is from different places and all works.

Try this with some thread loose in your hand thread it through the needlebar thread guide & pull it back & forth & see if it cuts it.You might also check the inside of the other thread guides too (for grooves)You should try this first before making any mechanical adj.

It's not shredding the 138 on the top actually. it's only shredding the bobbin thread then.

My hook timing appears to be Right on the money.

I should also point out it sews way better through thicker leather meaning 1.5mm-2mm is about the thickest I sew. sometimes 5-6mm and it works perfect. Anything sub 1.5mm I either have the needle shredding problem or the bobbin shredding problem.

Hard to work out why it would shred the 138 on top if that is what you normally use. If the timing is out by a poofteenth of an inch it may cause an issue but usually is a top thread only issue.

Start at the basics. Is the hook in the middle of the needle scarf? Any burrs on or under the needle plate or hook/shuttle?

It's not shredding the 138 on the top actually. it's only shredding the bobbin thread then.

My hook timing appears to be Right on the money.

I should also point out it sews way better through thicker leather meaning 1.5mm-2mm is about the thickest I sew. sometimes 5-6mm and it works perfect. Anything sub 1.5mm I either have the needle shredding problem or the bobbin shredding problem.

Ok. so I did another inspection. There defiantly was some burring on the inside of the hook. That seems to have solved the bobbin problem. I can now sew fine with 138 top 92 bottom. I tried the 21 needles, no go, I have I don't have 20 -19 so I'll have to pick some up.

ok. so I've now tried two sizes of 20's both worked so so. I was able to jerry rig a timing test by dropping the needle down in the holder which made them work a bit better but still not enough. Strange because the needles are identical in length and shapes to my 22 that work perfect. I'm still at a loss.

UPDATE:

So I've done a number of tests on a bunch of different needles. None of the new needles have been the right length. I found an older needle in my box that came on my Singer 52W19. It's a Singer 25/20 and this needle seems to work pretty well. It's not perfect but it works pretty well. Anyone know this needle size and maybe what a modern replacement is for it? On another note. I'm wondering if there is a technique or needle shape that will help make the exit hole on the bobbin side a little more finished looking. I'm going to be doing production on some leather cases and I want both sides to nice and clean. Right now the back side has quite the exit hole.