smokeeater722

Journals?

Hey Ladies and Gents,

with my current projects almost finished, I'm thinking about building a journal. I'd like to tool it, but keep it moderately rustic, but I've never done anything like this before, my plan is to make it a wrap around cover with strap closure, keeping it masculine, rustic and yet aestetically pleasing. I'm wondering what kind of paper do you use, I'd like to keep it between 5 and 6 inches wide and no more than 8 inches long as well as being able to add new reams as they get exhausted. Where do you get your paper and how do you attache them to the journal while keeping it expandable? With these details out of the way, I think I can make the rest work out.

Cheers!

Patrick

Consider making a slipcover... you were all good till you wanted to rebind new paper...

How about using binding posts (used in scrapbooking I believe). I have been thinking about doing this, as opposed to my current method of making the slip covers for A5 notebooks. These posts seem to range from 3mm high to 50mm - they look like Chicago screws.

All you have to do is choose whatever paper you'd prefer, hole punch said paper, make corresponding holes in the leather & Bob's your dad's brother. When the paper is used up, unscrew & refill :spoton:

At least, I hope it works like that :lol:

Bev

By your post, I figure you have your pattern pretty well worked out. So with that said, forgive me if I'm intruding This is a pattern I made a few years ago that uses the 8 1/2 x 5 1/2 paper usually found at Walmart or some printing supply stores. It uses 1/2 inch Chicago Screws to keep the paper in place with the help of a retainer. Please feel free to download the pattern for your own use. Just keep in mind that when it is to be printed on the 11 x 17 sheets, keep the Page Scaling to NONE. If it is set to Fit the Page, the scale will be too small. Enjoy, Jim

Here is a photo of the Journal

Journal Layout.pdf

post-39965-0-42861900-1389542973_thumb.j

Thank you for that pattern Jim!!!!

Chris

Now you did Jim. I don't know what I need a journal for but now that I have seen your pattern I am going to have to make one.

Now you did Jim. I don't know what I need a journal for but now that I have seen your pattern I am going to have to make one.

I'm gonna let you in on a little secret: when I set these out at craft shows I sold out by the end of the day. Besides that, I carry one on my chemical truck to keep up with chemical usage and well reports. The come in handy. Jim

Thank you for the pattern, may we see pix of the inside and back to see how the Chicago screws attach?

Thank you for the pattern, may we see pix of the inside and back to see how the Chicago screws attach?

Well darn it, I don't have a photo of the back, but the good news is that it looks just like the front. As for the inside, the Chicago Screws go thru the holes in the journal and then thru the paper and the retainer is laid on top with the caps passed thru to screw into the sockets. This way, the cover opens completely away from the paper so to allow easier writhing without having to fight with it being in the way. If you look closely at the pattern, all this becomes clear. Once you get it assembled, it becomes evident how everything works. Jim

You, Ladies and Genteel-men, Are Awesome! You guys never fail to come through for a fella, Thank you guys so MUCH!!!!

By your post, I figure you have your pattern pretty well worked out. So with that said, forgive me if I'm intruding This is a pattern I made a few years ago that uses the 8 1/2 x 5 1/2 paper usually found at Walmart or some printing supply stores. It uses 1/2 inch Chicago Screws to keep the paper in place with the help of a retainer. Please feel free to download the pattern for your own use. Just keep in mind that when it is to be printed on the 11 x 17 sheets, keep the Page Scaling to NONE. If it is set to Fit the Page, the scale will be too small. Enjoy, Jim

Here is a photo of the Journal

I only had the faintest idea of what I was going to do, your pattern is awesome and I can't tell you how much I appreciate it! Thank you again Jack! :cowboy:

Many thanks for the pattern!! I just realized that Monday is a holiday so I have some time to make one of these!