DS STRAPS

In Need Of A Recurve Bow Arm Guard

Anyone happen to have a pattern for a recurve bow arm guard? If so it would be much appreciated, looking to start a project as a gift to my younger brother.

This is how i do mine. I just drawn the pattern quickly on the computer (I usually draw a new pattern each time I make a new arm-guard as the measures are always different), as so don't mind the holes position. Here are the measures :

- A : Forearm circumference at the widest (with elbow folded) minus 1 3/4 inch

- B : Wrist circumference minus 1 3/4 inch

- C : Inside forearm length (when the elbow is folded) minus 1 inch

Hope it will help !

armguard.pdf

Thanks fellas, some awesome stuff here! Much appreciated

As a former nationally competitive archer, if you are looking to make an amrguard for go and not for show, think minimalist. All one needs is a very thin strip of leather, possibly stitched with a s,mall rod in the center and held by elastics and velcro. The guard shown would be very uncomfortable, after shootng all day in the hot sun.

If, however, you are looking for a guard to go with your horned Viking helmet, the pattern is perfect!

Cya!

Bob

I just made one for an acquaintance of my husband's (attached).

It's very simple, just a strip of veg tan with some holes to attach it to your arm with your cord/lace of choice.

Both my husband and I shoot compound bows, and he shoots recurve as well (I will too, in the near future when my bow parts come in). This is really all you need for an armguard. More than that is just for looks and decoration.

Ultimately, if you have perfect form, you're never going to need a guard. If you wear a thin shirt, you probably won't need one either unless you're really having trouble with your form - and in that case a lesson is probably in order!

We all have the "oops" moment, and after your first one you'll see why many people like wearing one. You really only need one to two inches width and 4-6 inches long (depending on your arm size). Punching holes in the 4 corners (and possibly two in the middle if it's long) with bungee cord is a simple enough way to attach it.

I've seen some complex ones with leather straps and buckles, though I find them too bulky.

post-29375-0-47538100-1390098246_thumb.j

Edited by lightingale

... The guard shown would be very uncomfortable, after shootng all day in the hot sun ...

... horned Viking helmet ...

I used to wear mine at 244h shooting rally in the middle of the summer with no inconveniences.

The vikings didn't use horned helmet, this misconception has its origins in the representations of the vikings from the 19thh century.

Yes I do know the horned helmets were a myth but with all due respects, summer in France, at least away from the Med and summer in Arizona and Central California are not even in the same arena. Today it is 25C. I have been in FITA (144 arrows 90M, 70M, 50M and 30M) competitions where the temperature was well over 43C. I appreciated a very thin and well ventilated guard. I used one like this:

Beiter_armguard.jpg

Cya!

Bob

Haven't thought of that, you do have a point :-) .