RavenAus

Best Way To Resize A Pattern?

I've made myself a pattern for a Steampunk costume harness and since this is the first real pattern I've made from scratch I am a bit flummoxed as to how to resize the pattern for customers outside the adjustment range. I've added pics of the prototype (it's in some scrap-bin leather with lace instead of buckles and was purely a proof of concept) so you can see how it goes together - 2 front panels, a back panel and a curved panel going under the arm.

post-32405-0-77386500-1389922418_thumb.j

post-32405-0-42683800-1389922424_thumb.j

post-32405-0-60313000-1389922430_thumb.j

Well, I made the thing and it turns out it's about a size 14-16 Australian (10-12 US I think)

th_Bolero003_zpse359c5f9.jpg th_Bolero002_zps64bfc34c.jpg th_Bolero001_zpscc8de66a.jpg th_Bolero006_zpse384565b.jpg

th_Bolero010_zpscf428b94.jpg th_Bolero009_zpsbea05d4f.jpg th_Bolero008_zpsabc5cfe9.jpg

First attempt to use an airbrush (only bought the compressor and kit last night) so it's a trial of that too :)

Hi there Raven. Me again. Use a photo copier to resize your patterns. Its the percentage setting that you need to adjust. Just remember that not all parts will proportionately bigger. My suggestion is that when you get an order to make get some measurements with it. That way it should fit pretty good.

By the way are you happy with the tags ?

cheers

Trevor

A slightly more techy way (my laptop died recently but I'll try to recall how it's done anyway)

1) get a vector graphic editor (I use Inkscape -it's free!). Read an easy start guide - there are plenty online.

2) if possible, scan your pattern into a jpeg file

3)if scanning was possible, load the jpeg into Inkscape and run "convert bitmap into path". Now you have a scalable pattern.

3b) if scanning is not possible, you need to take measurements from your patern and then use the pen tool to draw the pattern to the original scale. Once drawn in svg format, you can scale it as you wish.

I used Inkscape a lot for resizing and redesigning carving patterns and it is a superb piece of software that IMHO every leather worker should learn how to use.

Chavez.

Chavez. I downloaded inkscape to resize a pattern. And I can't find where you "run bitmap into path" I found make a bitmap copy. But that is it. Could you tell me how you do this? John

Chavez. I downloaded inkscape to resize a pattern. And I can't find where you "run bitmap into path" I found make a bitmap copy. But that is it. Could you tell me how you do this? John

It's actually "Trace Bitmap" I believe and it's under the "Path" menu. Google Inkscape Trace Bitmap and you'll get a bunch of tutorials and YouTube videos on the subject.

You can resize a JPG as well, but it will become pixelated the larger you go. If you Trace it into a path (or turn it into a vector), you can resize without the pixelation.

Edited by jackd942

I run inkscape as well on all my Linux computers, I use this link http://www.microugly.com/inkscape-quickguide/ as my guide, I don't use the program enough to be a pro ..yet. hope this helps

I have also use Paint program in the view menus select to view rulers and grid, also you can use the resize/skew option on the Home or edit menu depending on your version, and with the rulers/grid visible it wil lgive you a better idea on how much to resize.

hope this helps

Cheers

Rick

Thank you for the help. This program can do alot of diffrant things. Glad you mentioned it. I have an old pattern that needs cleaned up and resized. So thank you for mentioning it. John