A local gentleman is selling a Singer 211G151 with table and "The Works". He is asking $300 for it, and it is in good working order and a trusted individual.

I have a Tippmann Boss for my leather holster and heavy leather needs, but am thinking about getting into garment leather goods like small bags, pouches, etc ....

Will this machine work good for garment leather and even lightweight canvas?

Edited by RoosterShooter

The 211G151 is a needle feed machine with a verticle hook. It will do just fine with garment leather and canvas. It will actually sew 1/4" of canvas using a size 22 needle. There are many different feet available and the machine is easy to work on. The parts are readily available and it takes the common 135x7 needle class. The 151 does not have a reverse like many Singer machines from that era, but it's easy to learn to do a manual back tack. That is a really good price for a complete machine, even if it has a clutch motor. You can always put a servo motor on if you need speed control. We still use these in the factory, currently sewing tin cloth canvas for Filson. They don't like really lightweight fabric, but you can sew ripstop nylon after learning some basic adjustments. It sews well with thread from tex40 to tex105, that's it's comfort zone. It likes bonded nylon because of the verticle hook versus the newer Juki 5410 needle feed which has a horizontal oriented hook.

Regards, Eric

I have the same machine and I use it like you intend to....I would say at $300 you better not pass it up.

The minor draw-backs as Eric has mentioned is it does not have a reverse, but I've learned to work around that, and I've also learned to control the clutch motor...my Cowboy 3500 has spoiled me at both fronts.

But a great machine to have in the shop.....get it!!