xaque

How Should I Sharpen An Oblong Punch

To ensure a better result with drive punches and my rotary punch, I have a cake of beeswax that I use to lubricate the inner and outer surfaces of the punch. I just poke the punch into the beeswax and rotate it once or twice before punching. In theory and practice, this helps the punch through the leather. Note that punching into oily or waxy leather is always easier than dry leather.

Hope this helps someone,

Cheers Jim

I use a 4 lb 10 inch handle drilling hammer. And yes, i use a steel hammer on my punches. If you hit straight, they don't mushroom as much and a little grinding will take care of it when it gets out of hand every couple months/years.

I don't, however, do it like you sissys do. I just put the leather on my thigh and flex, harder than granite.....Clean punch every time.

:thumbsup:

I HAVE AN OSBORN 1INCH, I LOVE IT.I ALSO USE A 6 LB HAMMER. I HAVE AN OAK LOG THAT I DO ALL MY PUNCHING ON. I CAN PUNCH HOLES 3 O' CLOCK IN THE MORNING And my wife can't hear it.