JDTagish

Skiving Failure

Placing the edge to be skived even with the edge of the block towards you will help. I can get a quick feather edge by pulling through to me and over the edge. Safety skiver.

The block planes are a great idea if you can keep them nice and sharp, very inventive of you guys!

I normally use a 19mm Pfeil Violin knife, it was lying around my workshop not being used and i'm glad i picked it up instead of buying an english paring knife.

Saved me a lot of money and it slices even fuzzy grain leather very nicely! Here's a pic:

suGmHGH.jpg

FYI for the US guys..Harbor Freight has their belt / disk sander on sale for $59, less than half of what I paid for my last swivel knife..

Cya!

Bob

Renee;

They work very well for items like belts.

I clamp one end of the belt to a board and shave the far end.

If you have trouble and aren't getting good results let me know and I'll help you with it.

Kevin.

Think there are already many good advise given by the more experience leather crafters.

Just want to add that I like to use a block of glass as backing when doing skiving. Find that the edge is more consistently thin when doing so maybe due to the smooth and even surface of glass.

Hi Guys

I am new here I have some experience with veneer I have a very small block plane that uses razor blades so no problems with sharpening.

it is called a David razor plane in the UK less than £10 not sure on availability elsewhere.