rosiart

Adjusting Foot Pressure

I have a Singer 153w100, the needlefeed cylinder machine without walking foot. Does anyone know where I adjust the foot pressure? The manual I was able to download says to look at C on Figure 3. Unfortunately, half of the points do not show on this photocopied version of the manual. :dunno:

Thanks.

Long flat spring on back of machine look down from the top there is a small hole with a screw in the hole turn the screw

Parts.singerco.com I think has a manual for that machine, might be better than the one you have?

Long flat spring on back of machine look down from the top there is a small hole with a screw in the hole turn the screw

pcox, is this where you mean? or am I looking at the wrong part of the machine? I don't want to monkey with any screws until I am sure.

Parts.singerco.com I think has a manual for that machine, might be better than the one you have?

I guess I am leery about paying for one without knowing that it is indeed clearer than the download one, particularly since the manuals on these machines are pretty brief to say the least.

post-26880-0-33620000-1392909264_thumb.j

http://parts.singerco.com/IPinstManuals/Parts.singerco.com'>http://parts.singerco.com/IPinstManuals/Parts.singerco.com should be free

http://parts.singerco.com/ start here, instructions and repair guides

I have a 153w101 and just behind the thread guide on the very top center of thr machine mine has a big thumb screw that goes through the machine to the flat spring that runs the length of the arm behind the arm. Look there, not sure yours is the same.

Edited by J Hayes

this may help.

Okay. Do I adjust the screw on the left that holds the spring on the machine ( where the thread is trailing down in my pic) or the bolt on the right (where you have the pencil in your pic)? I ask because I only see the bolt, no screw in that position.

post-26880-0-03010400-1392931818_thumb.j

Edited by rosiart

The one the pencil is pointing to. bolt/screw it does have a slot and hex head. turn it out/down for more pressure.

Thanks so much. This has been a great help.

http://parts.singerc...ts.singerco.com should be free

http://parts.singerco.com/ start here, instructions and repair guides

I have a 153w101 and just behind the thread guide on the very top center of thr machine mine has a big thumb screw that goes through the machine to the flat spring that runs the length of the arm behind the arm. Look there, not sure yours is the same.

Thanks, that is the one I downloaded but it is impossible to see where C is on it. Fortunately pcox has posted a pic and a post for me that clarified where I need to do the adjustment. At some point, someone has repainted this machine and I was really afraid that the adjustment point had been painted over.

Here is where there may be some confusion; the pic below, index letter C, is pointing the the large thumb adjusting screw used to regulate the presser foot pressure. This is standard issue new from Singer. A lot of new and rebuilt machines of this type have a screw with no thumb screw, but a recessed flat head screw you would need to use a flat head screw driver to make this adjustment. In this case, with the machine in question, the screw here for the presser foot pressure adjustment is incorrect. This is why some may be confused. With that, I wouldn't change a thing, but just turn the hex head with a wrench until you get the presser foot pressure you want. It may bee excessive, as in some cases, the pressure spring may be best off with less pressure, where this large nut is in the way and may limit you from backing off on the spring pressure. Maybe not. Depends on your work, and your spring.

10330_53_1.jpg

I also think there can be great confusion in the fact that many of these old machines were probably made for years and went through a few incarnations. For example, the small hole pcox referred to does not exist on my machine. The bolt/screw does but there is no place for an adjustment except on the bolt itself.

This screw actually is for adjusting the foot presure. The tip of the screw goes on a flat metal spring and this spring puts the preasure on the presser foot.

IMG_1500.JPG

post-31854-0-52407200-1393177053_thumb.j

There are some differences in the 153 series. The walking foot subclass is a little different than the needle feed with no walking foot.

This screw actually is for adjusting the foot presure. The tip of the screw goes on a flat metal spring and this spring puts the preasure on the presser foot.

Mine doesn't have this configuration at all.

There are some differences in the 153 series. The walking foot subclass is a little different than the needle feed with no walking foot.

I think that is the case here.

Take a couple photos, back of the head, top of the head, and post so someone that knows the machine can point to the adjustments.

Tom

Take a couple photos, back of the head, top of the head, and post so someone that knows the machine can point to the adjustments.

Tom

Already done in the previous posts and pcox has helped me solve this problem :thumbsup: