262leatherworks

Thinking About Buying An Airbrush

I have been looking into buying an airbrush for applying finish to my products. Is an gravity fed airbrush or a siphon fed better for this? I know a lot of people on here are using them and was just wanting to get ideas on how everyone had theirs set up.

I use an Iwata Eclipse. It uses small plastic bottles for the dye. I really like it because I can keep the dyes in seperate bottles, and just change to a different color whenever I need to. It has a double action trigger, that makes feathering the edges easy. It is a very well made airbrush, and is easy to maintain.

I use an Iwata Eclipse BCS just about every day. It is siphon feed and as RL pointed out, you can change bottles quickly. Plus the bottles generally hold more than the gravity fed kind. I'm sure many people use the gravity feed as well, just a little different. As far as brand, I have heard good reports on the Harbor Freight airbrushes as well if cost is a concern...the Iwata brushes aren't exactly cheap.

Air brushes generally either control only the air flow (single stage) or the air flow and media (paint, dye, ink, etc.). Single stage air brushes create low pressure in a nozzle which "sucks" the dye or paint into the air stream, spraying it onto the surface. You may change the density of the media by altering the air pressure, adjusting the nozzle or, replacing the nozzle and "needle" with a different size.

All these comments also apply to the two stage air brush however, it will also feature a more adjustments which my be varied while in use.

For a single stage I would recommend the Paasche or Badger. Two stage, definitely, the Iwata; expensive and worth every dime.

I have a Badger 360 but would go with an Iwata if I had a second chance. BUT the Badger is better than a dauber any day of the week!

I got a paasche vlstpro because it was the only one I could find that had a nut to hold the paint bottle on, instead of just a friction fit. I was worried that if the bottle fell off it would ruin the piece I was working on.

I am also looking into buying an airbrush. I am not only looking at one for dying, but also for spraying the acrylic paints on some of my projects. I am very new to leather work, and even more novice in the airbrush world. Can anyone shed some light or tips on what to buy? Should I be looking at one brush for dying and one for the acrylic work? I have searched around a little on here, and the internet, and havent come up with much in the way of advice for acrylic use/care.

Just to help give more info on the uses, I will be painting stamped lettering and (once I have gotten a little better) some tooled "graphics." I dont plan on blending dyes, but plans always change and I would like to try and get the best bag for my buck when I purchase an airbrush.

Thanks so much for everyones help, and extreme kindness on the forum, and sorry for hi-jacking your thread 262...

Matt

I have the paasche vl and LOVE it! My first airbrush was from harbor freight and it didn't do so well for me. I actually think I got one with a bent needle, but I didn't know any better :) The paasche vl came with 3 needles, the #1,#3, and #5. When it arrived it had the #3 already installed and I haven't changed it since lol. I am really bad at detailing with the airbrush, but I bought it mainly for finishing. The #3 works great for finishes. However, if you are into detailing then you are set because you already have the other needles to work with as well.

Jack, I just checked out your FB page and I have to tell you those holsters are bad a**! Wow.

Jack, I just checked out your FB page and I have to tell you those holsters are bad a**! Wow.

Thank you Renee...I like your stuff at alteredleather as well. Pretty cool!

Thank you Renee...I like your stuff at alteredleather as well. Pretty cool!

Thank you very much!

One thing can be said for the Harbor Freight airbrushes.......... The price is right! Paid $8 bucks for my last one. Good quality? Not really, but they beat a dauber and if it screws up, grab another one! IMHO, only way to dye and finish.

Of course, the brush isn't much good without air. I think a lot of people get discouraged when they start using their first air brush. Those little cans of propellant will just barely get you started and, you'll go broke buying them. Try some pawn shops for a nail gun unit. They're noisier than the purpose built artists compressor. You may have to buy a hose. A quick disconnect fitting is a must for me. Prices will usually run under $50.

I've been using an airbrush for 30 years. It's similar to carving leather. The only way you can learn is to do it.

I certainly got tired of playing with the tiny compressors and the cans :)

5ad25efd-00c1-4271-b827-d648a79cf0bb_400_zpse1f60ca3.jpg

LMAO

G'day,

I have just got myself another air brush.

Airbrush #1.

As I knew very little about airbrushing , and didn't want to spend a lot of $$$, I got myself an airbrush from a hardware shop. It was rubbish !!

It didn't do very much , apart from make me swear & curse !!

It was a siphon feed, with changable pots, and the flimsy hose perished quickly and no accessories etc. and little instruction.

Money wasted. Lesson learnt !!!!

Airbrush #2.

So,almost a year later, I got myself another one, but MUCH better.

Double action ,gravity feed, with assorted needle sizes , various other accessories etc. and the instructions were much better.

Its not a known brand, I got it from an auto accessory shop . I also got a good quality braided hose to go with it. I paid around $70 ( Aust.) in total.

I hooked it up to a household / handyman compressor, with regs,and a moisture trap.

I set the pressure, and after playing around with it, it wasn't long before I finally got the result I wanted....yey !!

A 'faded' or 'graduated' effect. (see pics)

It works well, and I'm happy with it.

The bag was just something I knocked up quickly to experiment.

I use the other spray gun for the sealer.

To apply sealer by hand could risk smudging the dye....and making a mess.

Another door has opened :yes:

All the best.

HS

post-7215-0-57429400-1403704150_thumb.jp

post-7215-0-88834200-1403704244_thumb.jp

post-7215-0-71655900-1403704289_thumb.jp

I have the VL too. Well, several of them actually (too lazy to switch tips back and forth). I think sometimes I'll try another model, but not until these are worn out. Darned things just won't STOP! Pretty much indestructible. Been meaning to try spraying finishes with it for years, but still haven't actually done it. Still, they spray spirit dyes jus' fine.

Larger bag painted with VL#3, smaller clutch with VL#1.

I have the Badger Renegade Krome 2 in 1. It's a fantastic airbrush, and was about $100.

The hard part for me was the air compressor. There are some very nice and reasonably-priced brands in the USA, but they cost double in Canada, and the USA dealers aren't allowed to ship them to Canada. So, I got a tiny little $70 compressor, and it works just fine.