Hotflint

First Attempt Cheyenne Holster

Hello all! This is my first attempt at a holster. The pattern is a bought one from Tandy, but I came up with the pattern myself. This is only about the 5th project I have stamped so I would like some positive feedback on what i can improve on. I dont want to dye it until I have stamped the left side.

Also, the belt in the background is one i bought from a gun store, even though its finished leather can i stamp on it without ruining it?

post-50303-0-60206300-1394079595_thumb.j

This is personal preference I like the top stamp design the best and think that the holster would have looked better if you had continued the same design the length of the holster. The veiner design in the lower two sections just looks a little to dijointed for me. Again just a personal opinion. If you like it thats what counts. Are you goin to lace the main seam? You may find it difficult to stamp a finished belt. Normally you take a unfinished belt blank with no sealer on it and case the leather before stamping then stamp dye and finish. With a finished belt you will have trouble casing the leather and your impressions will probably not come out crisp and clear if the belt will even take and hold an impression. If you are going to try it do a test right behind the buckle if it does not turn out it will be covered by the billet when the belt is buckled.

Thank you for your reply, I too like the top floral design better, I actually started on the middle and bottom veiner pattern first and the top last. I am going to lace the main seam with a natural color lace , while I am going to dye the holster as closely as I can to the belt. I will try to do what you say behind the buckle and see if it works out.

Wow. Nice job. Can't wait to see the finished project.

Thanks Haystacker! I will post completed pictures.

Hotflint, The holster is a beautiful piece of work. The stamping is also very good, and quite original, it seems. That being said, I think the holster part is a bit too busy. The 2 securing straps are great and the back pad seems quite nice. JMHO Semper-fi Mike

Thank you Wade D, right now I am working on the left side, once its done, I am going to dye them together. I havent been as dillegent as I have been with working on my leather stuff (work and family obligations) but hopefully within the next 2 weeks I will have it done.

Finally got around to finish my shooting rig. I also added a knife sheath which I made the pattern.post-50303-0-95108000-1401505188_thumb.jpost-50303-0-18469700-1401505312_thumb.j