DavidL

How To Fade/darken Leather?

How would I fade and darken leather like the picture below?

My guess is that the leather already started out looking vintage and something was used to remove the finish on the leather and then dye was added to the edge.

Am I headed in the right direction?

il_570xN.500037743_44se.jpg

post-34060-0-28606600-1394227110_thumb.j

It looks like it may have been airbrushed fading or feathering out from darker to lighter.

No I don't think you are going in the right direction. By reading through the description the seller listed for this item on Etsy, he gives you an idea of how he made it. It is vegetable tanned leather that he block dyed. I personally achieve this look with an airbrush, but there are other techniques one can use to achieve this look as well. Use the search feature at the top of the page and you will find posts on how some have achieved this look.

Karina

I've gotten (slightly) similar results using the eco-flow highlighter and gel antiques. When you apply it let it sit on the edges longer before wiping it away with a soft cloth. Then use a damp (not wet) cloth to lightly wipe the center portion of the leather. It may not end up exactly like your picture, but it will come close. I'll upload a picture of a passport wallet I just did using this technique when I get a chance.

I dye my stuff the base color, in this case a nice brown, then use a sponge loaded with a bit of black. Pat the black on, let it set a little bit, then wipe lightly here and there.

Now I gave away my secret! Lol!

Cheers,

Andy

wallet1.jpg

post-8183-0-61844900-1394235518_thumb.jp

I dye my stuff the base color, in this case a nice brown, then use a sponge loaded with a bit of black. Pat the black on, let it set a little bit, then wipe lightly here and there.

Now I gave away my secret! Lol!

Cheers,

Andy

attachicon.gifwallet1.jpg

Sorry for the tangent, but I like the little card holder... What thickness leather is it, and it almost looks wet-formed but i'm guessing it has just had a bone folder in it?

Sorry for the tangent, but I like the little card holder... What thickness leather is it, and it almost looks wet-formed but i'm guessing it has just had a bone folder in it?

It's made from 4/5 oz, not wet formed it just has a stack of cards in it giving it some shape.

This is the effect I was talking about with the Eco-flow High-lighter. A buddy of mine is a professional photographer and was able to catch some shots that really show the effect.

Passport Wallet-Front

Passport Wallet - Back

Passport Wallet - Inside

To get this I don't clean the leather with alcohol or anything (I know... tsk tsk). I find that cleaning with alcohol will only leave the lighter brown color and you won't get the darker patches.

Once your ready (resists in place etc), use a wool dauber and apply a generous layer of the high-lighter. Work it in circles until the whole piece is covered then wipe it off with a dry cloth. Then using a slightly damp cloth, wipe over it once or twice only. Do not rub at all or you'll wipe most of the antique right off.

Afterwards I use an airbrush to apply my finish in order to prevent the finish from lifting the antique off the leather. I use a half dozen light-to-moderate coats of resolene cut 50:50 with water.

Cheers,