Eddie1968

Cb2500 Or Cb3200

Most of my projects are 3 layers of 8 oz. on the big end and maybe a single 8 oz. on the light end. Does anyone know if the CB2500 will handle this? Or should I just spend the extra on the CB3200?

Thanks. Eddie.

Edited by Eddie1968

3200! It has triple feed with a smooth feed dog, as opposed to single bottom feed with aggressive teeth. The 2500 has a sewing capacity of 7/16 inches. The 3200 can cover 1/2 inch. But, the triple feed is where the big difference lies.

Also, the 3200 takes the same harness feet as the bigger 441 clones. The 2500 only has two feet available, to my knowledge: split toe and roller.

Both machines can sew as thin as 6 ounces, using #92 bonded thread. Unfortunately, neither machines needles are available in leather point in size 20, which is the proper needle for #92 thread.

Wouldn't the other choice be the CB227R rather than the CB2500? The three layers of 8 oz would be at the maximum end of the capacity for the CB227R but the lighter end single 8 oz would seem better sewn on the CB227R than the CB3200. The CB227R is also a triple feed machine and would have a wide range of choices of needle sizes on the lighter end. I guess it all depends on whether most sewing would be on the three layers of 8 oz. Then the CB3200 would seem like the better choice.

Listen to Wiz. I try to. The man is a sewing machine encyclopedia with search function.

Listen to Wiz. I try to. The man is a sewing machine encyclopedia with search function.

I'm just a tinker, tailor, soldier and spy, nothing more.

I'm just a tinker, tailor, soldier and spy, nothing more.

Then I was correct. ;)

at this point its mostly scabbards (3 layers 8oz.) But I've had request for holsters, conceal carry type and BBQ style as well. Which would be some of the lighter stuff, maybe couple layers of 6oz. Are there any other machines comparable to the CB3200 out there that I've missed??

None cheaper that I know of, unless you find a screaming deal on a used 441 clone. Either way 6 oz is the draw line. Machines sew under or they sew over that line. You want x2 over. 3200 is entry level for over that. I have a lesser machine and while it will do it but I wouldnt torture it daily with 12oz plus. You asked about the 3200 in the OP. Get it, be done with it and be happy with your results.

Eddie, as Wiz says, you will be better off with a triple feed machine. If you can swing a 16 1/2 inch arm, that would be your best bet. There are practically no limitations to the long arm machines. Steve

at this point its mostly scabbards (3 layers 8oz.) But I've had request for holsters, conceal carry type and BBQ style as well. Which would be some of the lighter stuff, maybe couple layers of 6oz. Are there any other machines comparable to the CB3200 out there that I've missed??

The CB 3200 is in a class of its own. It is a new design.

There are other sewing machines that can sew 1/2 inch with heavy thread, but not in that price range, or simplicity of operation, with triple feed. I could have told you about the ~$6,000 Campbell Randall needle and awl machines, or the Adler 205-370 (~$6,000). I didn't even mention the longer arm Cowboy CB4500 or Cobra Class 4, or Techsew 5100, all of which can sew 7/8" with heavy thread and sell for the lower to mid 2k range, depending on the accessories ordered.

The bottom line is think about your near future plans and buy the most machine, with the best dealer support you can possibly afford.

Well I have clearance from my financial advisor to purchase a machine. But I do have a budget unfortunately. lol. I can get the CB3200 at a shop in Dallas which is within driving distance. So I will probably do that. I found an Adler 205-64. Supposedly works good but thoroughly used. price is same range as a new 3200.

I purchased a 3200 on Wiz's advice and am thrilled with the machine and the direct support from Bob Kovar at Toledo. The machine was within my budget (just) took an hour to set up and start sewing. A small glitch developed within a couple of weeks which was immediately sorted and a defective part replaced by Bob with no down time. I have been able to launch a leather business based on this machine.

At the moment sew a double layer of wet formed 5/6 oz veg tanned with two layers of glued suede lining which drops down to a single layer of veg tan and suede and the machine as no issues what so ever. I have also sewn decorative stitching on 3-4oz, again with no problems using a 207 thread and minor adjustments of the tension.

Great machine, Great support, Happy Camper. Is it an Adler? No. Did I have to mortgage my house No..

Cya!

Bob

Edited by BDAZ

I appreciate all the info and input from the experienced guys. I will be purchasing the CB3200!! Just waiting on the mailman with our tax return. :whistle: