Cole

Sewing Machine Set Up Problems... At Witts End...

I bought an Artisan 618-1sc and im at my witts end trying to figure out how to thread it and how to adjust the tension correctly. is there anyone out there who can help me ???

Heres a link to the manual, it shows how to thread it. http://www.artisansew.com/pdf/manuals/exisiting/618SCmanual.pdf

Once you get it threaded and want to change colors tie your new color to the old one and pull it through so you don't have to thread it everytime.

Edited by dirtclod

Thanks dirtclod. I have this manual but unfortunately it is like reading chinese to me . The diagrams are rather bunched and lacking. I am a visual learner or show me. Directions have always confused me...

Maybe this will help?

post-7185-0-96263200-1394708928_thumb.jp

Cowboy Bob

Would you have one of those for a Cowboy 227R, I am having the same problem Cole? The instructions the manufacturer provides for these machines are horrible, love the machine though.

The 227R uses the same threading as above,very common to alot of different models of machines.

Thanks cowboy bob. On the upper tension disk there is a notch on the artisan that i was told to go over. We will see.. next issue. I was using 138 thread with the bobbin and needle and i was practicing on probably 2 oz leather. When i sewed there was a tiny visible not on the bottom so i changed the bobbin thread to 69 and now the loop is on the top...

If the knot is on top there's too much top tension on my machine.

I'll pull the top and bottom threads by hand and I have a little more bottom (bobbin)tension than top tension but they're pretty close to being the same.

I leave the bobbin tension alone and just adjust the top tension when I have a problem like you are experiencing.

Knot on the bottom, tighten the top tension, knot on the top, decrease top tension.

Try pulling on your bobbin thread, if it pulls at roughly five or six pounds of pull you should be in the ball park so you can match your top tension to that and then adjust the top tension from there.

IMHO 138 on 2 ounce leather is to heavy. Try some 69 thread and see what happens, or try the 138 on the 2 ounce doubled and see what happens.

Size 138 (T135) bonded thread is best used in 1/8 inch of leather. Under that, I recommend #92 into 4-7 ounces, or #69 into 2 - 4 ounces.

It is foolhardy to mix 138 on top and 69 in the bobbin. It makes no sense at all and is pert near impossible to balance the knots. If you only need 10 or 11 pounds breaking strength, just use #69, top and bottom, with a #16 or #18 needle. If you need more strength in thin leather, try #92 thread using a #19 or 20 needle.

I used the 138 that came with the machine. Andwas still having trouble. Im not educated on thread or needles is there a resource to help me with it?

This is a chart from Bob's site.

http://www.tolindsewmach.com/thread-chart.html

The chart that Tree Reaper linked to is an excellent guide for matching thread to needles.

In your case, since the machine came with #138 bonded thread, it should also have #23 (Metric 160) needles with it. You should wind some #138 onto a bobbin and try again. #138 thread, top and bottom, is best sewn with a #23 needle. If you are sewing leather, a leather point needle works best.

Thanks tree reaper...im gonna print this ....

Thanks tree reaper...im gonna print this ....

I want to make a correction on the thread tension.

Today I measured the tension using a trigger gauge which is relatively accurate and these are the measurements.

Combined leather thickness is 7 oz.

post-19342-0-85108700-1394815980_thumb.j

Top thread tension out of the needle is 8 oz.

post-19342-0-91923900-1394816044_thumb.j

Bobbin thread tension is 2.5 lbs.

post-19342-0-04365300-1394816116_thumb.j

This is with 138 thread.

No it's pounds, two and a half.

I finally got some pics to load to show yall some of my problems. He white thread is 138 and the black is 69.IMG_20140313_123458.jpgIMG_20140313_123602.jpg

post-33356-0-20235600-1395033133_thumb.j

post-33356-0-12546600-1395033184_thumb.j

I´d try a needle 1 or 2 sizes larger than the one you are using atm. Larger needles punch slightly larger holes so that may solve your problem.