badger

Parts for Pearson #6

Thanks Greg,

I'll look out for one.

Cheers,

Karl

That pic is crap isn,t it. My camera is playing up and I resorted to the webcam. I will try and post a better pic of it actually in operation. I have even had successful results by just sticking one of the bobbin pins (for want of a better term) in my drill chuck and I then place the pin on the other end in a hole drilled in a block of wood to stabilise the bobbin. I then just turn on the drill. Primitive but it works.

Barra.

Barra,

I have a plan to buy a cheap battery drill and mount it on a block on the bench. If I set the speed reasonably slow, it shouldn't need too much stabilisation, simply chuck the end of the bobbin shaft tight and wire into a sewing machine footswitch. Maybe attach a hinge to the baseplate. drill a hole to hold the other end of the bobbin and swing it up into place.

This would leave both hands free to feed the thread on.

Cheers and thanks for the input,

Karl

One thing I have found out about owning a Pearson; if you need help, it seems every other Pearson owner is there for you.

John Leighton told me years ago that he took the flywheel off of one of his Pearsons and brought it to a foundry to have some castings made. He told the foundry people it was irreplaceable.

They broke it. :head_hurts_kr:

Wow!

You'd need to work hard to break one, it's seriously big lump of metal. However it is a casting. One way to break an iron casting is either a rapid shift in temperature..... another is to drop it. Cast iron's pretty brittle.

It's a real shame these things happen. Particularly to a cool machine like a Pearson.

I'm getting the hang of operating mine now. I'd still like to find a replacement wax pot and a new handle for the flywheel. If anyone has either, I'd be happy to buy them.

Cheers,

Karl

...thought you may wish to see my Pearson...with winder. I have rebuilt four of these machines over the years. I have this machine tuned to sew from 2-3oz leather upwards.

Pearson_HM6.jpgHM_6_Winder01.JPG

post-5976-1226270348_thumb.jpg

post-5976-1226270355_thumb.jpg

Wow. Just Wow.

That's a fantastic rebuild/restoration. It's great to see the machine bought back to it's former glory. Thank you very much for sharing.

How long did the rebuild take?

Mine has a simple, plain flywheel with no decoration or adornment at all. I guess it's a later replacement. The handle is a red plastic affair and the wax pot lid is broken on one hinge.

I'm having a tough time finding spares.

I'm making a bobbin winder as I can't find one either.

I'm really impressed with your machine. Beautiful.

Cheers,

Karl

Hello Karl,...I rebuilt this machine over twenty years ago...I photographed it from every angle, dismantled it and had the main parts sandblasted...then etch, undercoat and I sprayed two coats of black auto enamel. Many hours were spent with a dagger doing all the pinstriping. I had some parts re-made and all works like new. I intend to have this machine shipped here from Australia, along with another BUSM machine...a smaller one called an 'A1'. I was fortunate enough to find a 'table' attachment...I re-made the timber from cedar.PeterHello Karl,...I may have a winder amongst my parts that will be coming over...please email me in the New Year to remind me to look for it.Peter

Peter,

That's really generous of you, thank you very much.

I'm looking for an original cast iron stand for my machine. I've been in touch with all the well known restorers/repairers and no one has a spare stand or knows where to find one.

I'm planning to buy a Bradbury treadle stand of the same age, just to have something vaguely appropriate.

Cheers,

Karl

Karl,

I have just sent you a message as I think I have an identical machine,a British United No 6 which maybe of interest to you ?

Hi Geordie,

yep, replied just now.

Cheers,

Karl

Geordie,

I'm not certain my messages are getting through.

Can you give me a call?

0208 575 7550

Cheers,

Karl

Many thanks for your kind words Karl.Pleased the machine finally arrived safely and I am sure you will do the "old girl"justice.

Must also say how nice it has been to deal with someone as straight and upfront as yourself.

Keith

Hi Peter,

Hello Karl,...I rebuilt this machine over twenty years ago...I photographed it from every angle, dismantled it and had the main parts sandblasted...then etch, undercoat and I sprayed two coats of black auto enamel. Many hours were spent with a dagger doing all the pinstriping. I had some parts re-made and all works like new. I intend to have this machine shipped here from Australia, along with another BUSM machine...a smaller one called an 'A1'. I was fortunate enough to find a 'table' attachment...I re-made the timber from cedar.PeterHello Karl,...I may have a winder amongst my parts that will be coming over...please email me in the New Year to remind me to look for it.Peter

Do you have the plans for the table by any chance, and photographs of the way it attaches to the machine?

I recently acquired an A1, and I'm about to acquire a No.6.

If you have, or come across, another bobbin winder I'd be very interested in it.

Cheers.

The Pearson uses the 331LR and they are fairly easy to come by from Schmetz dealers who stock Industrial sewing machine needles eg.

http://www.aaronmart...amp;submit=View

Barra

Schmetz quit making the 331LR needles and they are becoming very expensive and getting really hard to find. This is also the the same needle system for the Landis 1 machine.