RoosterShooter

What Belt Do I Need ... No Belt Present!

I bought an old Singer 211G155 today from a yard sale, and the lady knew nothing about it. The machine was 'as is' and DID NOT come with a belt, but DOES have a servo motor installed on the table.

The belt would be a 'V' style belt, but how do I measure for a new belt?

Thanks

You will probably be looking for a fractional horsepower belt. Measure the inner width of the pulleys near the outer edge. A 3L belt will measure 3/8" wide and a 4L will measure 1/2". The label on the belt will have a "0" after the length so a belt labeled "3L320" tells you it is 3/8" wide and 32" long at the outer edge.

To measure the belt length set the adjustable pulley in the middle of its range and measure the circumference around the two pulleys. This should get you close. Now you just have to decide if you want to buy extra belts and return the one's that don't fit or buy them one at a time and make multiple trips to the hardware store.

I went to Rural King tonight and bought a couple of 1/2" belts. The won't fit on the machine or the motor pulley. I guess they're a 3/8" belt. One belt, a 1/2" x 4" was right on the length, but it didn't ride in the right place. I think a 3/8" would do it.

Almost all modern industrial sewing machine motor pulleys, the machine pulleys, as well as speed reducers, all use 3/8 inch wide v-belts, which are known as type 3L.

To get a starting point for your belt lengths, if equipped only with a pencil:

Set your belt adjusters in the middle of the range of travel.

Carefully measure the exact diameter of each pulley.

For each pulley's diameter, calculate the circumference (3.1416 X diameter), then divide each circumference by 2.

Now, carefully measure the center to center distance between the two pulleys: MULTIPLY that distance X 2.

Calculation: (1/2 circumference A) + (1/2 circumference B + (center distance X 2) = belt length

The length will *usually* fall within your adjustment range if you have measured accurately....

You CAN get 3L belts by 1/2" increments too. A 34-1/2" belt will be a 3L345

-DC

Edited by SARK9