JoyceLee

Can I Use Feibings Pro Oil Dye For Bracelets & Belts

I need some advice. I want to make leather bracelets with applique kangaroo lacing. I have a full set of Feibings Professional Oil Dye and was told that they would bleed and mark skin and clothing.

Question: Can I use Feibings Pro Oil Dye on vegetable tanned leather bracelets & belts or... do I need to buy new dyes?

Also... what kind of finish should I use?

Thank you!

Edited by JoyceLee

Sure you can use it. After it has time to dry, buff it to brighten it up and remove any hints of excess dyes before continuing your finishing techniques. The biggest problem I have is with the Fiebings USMC black. It does leave a residue that requires some effort to buff clean before finishing.

As Tim said, it would work fine. You just need o buff and use a good finish. If you're worried, go a bit heavy on a resolene top coat after buffing everything out you can.

The advice you got may be from someone who ony uses traditional wax or oil finishes. In that case it might be true depending on their application process.

Edited by Glendon

Thank you Tim and Glendon,

I will order some Resolene today. Another question... it is true that leather should not be dyed on the back?

thanks...

If you want to take on the aggravation of trying to dye the front without touching the edges, . . . have a wonderful time. When you perfect the technique, . . . you can make big money selling a book on how to do it.

If you dye the front, . . . and the edges, . . . any bleeding dye that would come from the back, . . . will also come from the edges.

Long and short, . . . dye the whole thing, . . . save yourself some grief. I have yet to have a customer who even mentioned it, . . . much less wanted it dyed just on one side.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thanks Dwight! That makes complete sense! I appreciate it.

Joyce

I don't dye the inside of belts unless specifically asked to. The black one is shown just because it's dyed with the oil dye you mentioned.

post-13153-0-17600300-1397225527_thumb.j