UKRay

Culture: Two nations divided...

The unfair one I know about is the Aussies keeping all the TimTams down south. We loved them in 93-94 when we were down there, and my sister brought some back with her when they moved back here a few years later. But I've had none since, and they're GOOOOOOD!

I refuse to buy them very often as they last all of 5 seconds in my house, though an exception is made in winter as you can't beat the traditional dunking into coffee or hot chocolate.

Hey Ray..

I`m pretty sure Oreo's are far more common in the UK supermarkets now than they were a year ago.

Sadly not on the Welsh border, Merrik - we are just grateful if Tesco doesn't run out of basic stuff by 4pm on a Friday... Biltong is a different matter. Check out www.biltong.co.uk - I have been buying from Larry Susman down in Newhaven for the past 20 odd years. You can definitely trust his mail order service even if his taste in rugby teams is a bit odd.

Too much information, Aaron... I'm hooked on Oreos, lard or not.

Denise - think maple syrup... Have you ever had it with snow?

Wassa Tim Tam? Do we need them in the UK?

Poutine? recipe please!

Fudge covered Oreos - nah, you're kidding... drool...

I forgot to add a real British delicacy to the list: you just have to try Spotted Dick: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spotted_Dick

This is one of my all time favorite puddings. Just the thing for a cold winter day. These days you can even get them ready made and ready to eat (remember: Spotted Dick should always be served with piping hot custard!). Aaron and Crystal, yours are already on their way!

Those of you who are not on my foodie mailing list can take a look at: http://www.hub-uk.com/family03/family0117.htm for a recipe.

Edited by barra

Poutine? recipe please!

Fudge covered Oreos - nah, you're kidding... drool...

Poutine is a French-Canadian dish, that, much like Scotch eggs, is a heart attack on a plate.

Take hand-cut French fries, cover them with chicken gravy, then put diced or shredded cheese curd on top. If you can't find cheese curd, shredded mozzarella will do in a pinch. YUM.

And I wish I was kidding about the fudge-covered Oreos. There are a lot fewer in the box, but they are delish. Did you get regular Oreos, or the Doubl-Stuf version, which have double the creamy filling? They are also periodically available in flavors, like mint, peanut butter, or coffee.

And I wish I was kidding about the fudge-covered Oreos. There are a lot fewer in the box, but they are delish. Did you get regular Oreos, or the Doubl-Stuf version, which have double the creamy filling? They are also periodically available in flavors, like mint, peanut butter, or coffee.

I sent him a Costco box of Oreos. They were classic Oreos. There were enough there to make most people sick. Since it was such a hit I was figuring on the next shipment having a differnat kind of Oreos in it.

Also, Ray, do you have snicker bars over there? Another item in a differant direction, Mr Clean magic erasers.

Aaron

You haven't lived until you've had a deep fried Oreo. They are a dieter's sin, but worth every calorie!

Johanna

You haven't lived until you've had a deep fried Oreo. They are a dieter's sin, but worth every calorie!

Johanna

Johanna, how do you deep fry an Oreo? Do you coat it in batter, breadcrumbs or what?

Tony.

Barra, I have just read about a Tim Tam Slam - where you Aussies apparently suck a beverage through a biscuit... is this for real?

Yes, we have Snickers over here Aaron but I have never heard of a Mr Clean Magic Eraser... until now!

I'm not sure even I could go for a deep fried Oreo, Johanna... and I ought to tell you Aaron, we have barely scratched the surface of our Oreo mountain. Just one packet and we both felt very slightly queasy... Oreos are great but obviously need to be enjoyed in moderation!

Sorry, Tashabear, but Poutine simply doesn't... no not even a little... no no no! You must have the constitution of a mule to eat that stuff. I've seen pictures now and I'm afraid for you. Very afraid!

Ray,

I was born in Rhodesia and subsequently teethed on biltong, droewors. Think industrial tree chipper with added drool!

I also used to source it from retailers in the UK, which has become much easier over the past few years as the SA shops have boomed. However i stumbled across a couple of sites about making your own and i have been ever since. It works out so much cheaper and is surprisingly easy to do. If you want more info then feel free to PM me.

Cheers

Johanna's right about the deep fried Oreos...they've become a staple at county fairs I've gone to. Another thing I adore at fairs is funnel cake.

Yes the Tim Tam slam is true. You take a Tim Tam and a good cup of coffee. Bite a corner off from each end and drink the coffee thru the Tim tam like it is a straw. You get one or two sips before the Tim Tam melts. There is no alternative but to eat the Tim Tam and get another.

Barra

Sorry, Tashabear, but Poutine simply doesn't... no not even a little... no no no! You must have the constitution of a mule to eat that stuff. I've seen pictures now and I'm afraid for you. Very afraid!

Chicken. Have you never had gravy on potatoes? It's a short step from there to poutine. Besides, I get it once a year, if that.

And now I want to go up to Manchester to Chez Vachon for poutine, and they're only open for breakfast and lunch. Dammit.

Tim Tams have arrived! Thank you Barra! They are GOOOOOOODDDDDD! I'll be sending a parcel soon. Just have to figure out what to put in it first. Never had poutine myself. Maybe the name puts me off...

WOW! Thanks Barra! I'm racking my brain trying to think of something uniquely Canadian, but not coming up with much. Maybe I am so used to these things I don't know they are "ours" only? Or maybe we just select from the good stuff from around the world so we don't need to come up with our own? Anything from up here that you miss down there, Barra? (Sorry, I don't think moose steak will make it through your customs department.)

Denise,

What about Canadian Bacon or Pauline's Pilot Biscuits? Those are the two things I remember most from canoe trips in canada in the 50's and 60's. Nothing like the smell and taste of Canadian Bacon frying in the skillet on a cool June morning in the Quetico Park.

BillB

BILLB......EVEN IN TENNESSEE THE CANADIAN BACON IS AS YOU DESCRIBED................I LOVE IT.

Denise,

What about Canadian Bacon or Pauline's Pilot Biscuits? Those are the two things I remember most from canoe trips in canada in the 50's and 60's. Nothing like the smell and taste of Canadian Bacon frying in the skillet on a cool June morning in the Quetico Park.

BillB

Canadian bacon isn't.

I never heard of Canadian Bacon till Bob and Doug McKenzie did their skits about it. I think it is a US name. Not one used up here. Nor have I heard of Pauline's Pilot Biscuits. Maybe I'm just connoisseur – ally illiterate. I think maple syrup will have to do, even though it is from the eastern half of the country. Butter tarts (which I have been told are basically Canadian and not made elsewhere) just wouldn't survive the trip. Besides, I have never made them...

Spent some time training with Valerie Michael and Neil MacGregor in Tetbury...what a culture shock for this girl from FAR west Texas (Big Bend on the border) now living in Colorado! Came away loving Branston pickle and English cheddar sandwiches, DRAFT cider at the pub (Yum!) and local faggots - now there's a word that caused some discussion with the waiter. All this despite my grandmother being English (Leeds) and my best friend here (London) now married to an American. They didn't educate me very well I guess. And got into one hell of a fight, er discussion, where I held my own with a rather pompous fellow at the pub about the ills of America, Americans, and Texans in particular. (It was during Badminton trials as well and I think he was sick of the crowds.) I made him a dog collar upon my return; got a lovely thank you note and he's coming out to ski next year with his wife and kids in tow. (Not all of us are so bad now.) This was earlier this year - was amazed that the American presidential race was the lead story EVERY night on the TV; at least until a rich lawyer in Chelsea shot things up...

Memories...I'll be back in '09 for more training. Can't wait. LOVE the Cotswolds and Bath and Avebury...and good linen thread hard to find here for hand-stitching...aaaahhh

LOVE Black Adder.

'Tis the season with TONS of catalogs pouring in...

One catalog has an interesting item called "Shut The Box Game". Description says " This classic English pub game is easy to learn and strangley addictive." Since I am always curious, but unwilling to spend $80 to see what it is about, can someone tell me a bit about the game?

Thanks!

Crystal

I've seen Shut The Box in high end stores in the New York City area. I've even tried it. It's a very challenging game where you have to manipulate pieces of wood to get the box to shut. It's a puzzler kind of thing. It's been a while since I've seen it, so that's the best my memory can supply...but it's a brainteaser for sure.

I've seen Shut The Box in high end stores in the New York City area. I've even tried it. It's a very challenging game where you have to manipulate pieces of wood to get the box to shut. It's a puzzler kind of thing. It's been a while since I've seen it, so that's the best my memory can supply...but it's a brainteaser for sure.

Thanks, Holly! Is it something that only one person plays, or is it something that multiple people can play? I thought this may look like an intersting leather box project, but am not sure now if there will be some kind of mechanics involved with the box shutting/not shutting. :wacko:

Crystal

Thank you very much! I understand, now. Rings and Skittles are also interesting looking games!

Crystal

And got into one hell of a fight, er discussion, where I held my own with a rather pompous fellow at the pub about the ills of America, Americans, and Texans in particular.

This is a traditional English pub game called "tease the tourist". The idea is to make outrageus ridiculous statements without the tourist realising you are playing a game and don't believe a word you are saying. If the tourists refuses to get annoyed they win.