CuttingHorse

Different Brands Of Tools

I've been doing leather crafting for a few years but just recently discovered the tool makers beyond what Tandy sells. I've had my eye on some Barry King tools, and I was wondering, are they worth it? Can you see a drastic difference in the tooling or is it just a better quality tool? The same questions apply to the mallets they sell.

Is there another brand aside from Barry King that is recommended?

Thanks in advance!

Barry King, Robert Beard Pro Series, Jeremiah Watt Horse Shoe Brand are probably easiest to get your hands on since they have websites. There are other great tool makers, you just need to get their contact info and most of them will send a catalog. It's one of those things you just need to try for yourself. Pick a couple of the tools you use the most and buy the ones Barry King makes and see if the difference is worth it to you. Personally I waited years before trying one of big tool makers and noticed a huge difference with the first strike of my maul. I have picked up the tools I use most and have never looked back. If you plan on carving leather for the rest of your life you should consider it an investment in your craft. The better tools are time savers, but they don't make you a better carver.

Barry King tools are superb, and half the price of Bob Beard or Jeremiah. I've got tools from all three, and I always end up using the Barry Kings.

Julia

I will second that the BK tools are top shelf and very reasonably priced as well. I say try any of the top shelf makers and you will not be disappointed.

I agree with everyone above. I have switched over to Barry King tools almost exclusively though I do use quite a few Robert Beard tools. My main tools for floral carving are Barry King, and I couldn't work without them. The quality is far better than the Tandy ones and if you are serious about making leather items, they are worth every penny. I have BK mauls, a French edger and a swivel knife, and they work great too.

I'll also throw in the name Wayne Jueschke from Elko, NV. I have several of his geometric and basket stamps and think they are the best. Robert Beard's are probably as good but I don't have any of his.

Bob

Also Clay Miller, Gomph Hackbarth, Chuck Smith. Their are others. In most cases, they are worth the extra investment. I still use a few craftools and the new Pro Craftools are a good deal if they fit. Over the course of the years you will try many, keep some, others no. As your style develops you will find it is based on a few or many and they will come from many places. I even have a few unmarked geometric and border tools that were picked out of the trash in Miles City, Mt in 1915 that I use regularly. Patrol this forum for thoughts and experiences on tools. Barry's poly mauls are great. Weaver Master Tools, too. There are other things out there. Osborne has started marketing rawhide mauls again and many (including me) prefer them.

What does everyone think about the quality and design of Horse Shoe Brand tools? I'm due to buy some more tools in the next couple of months and want to buy something that will last.

Thanks

I don't have any experience with the Horse Shoe brand tools --- I have mostly Barry King and C.S. Osborne, these are quality tools that will not break the bank. I especially like the Barry King, I have an order in for some more BK tools as we speak, wish they would get here already... :banana:

Thanks for the reply:)

Watts horse shoe brand tools are amazing quality all the way around, you won't be sorry when ordering anything he offers. King, weaver and Ron's tools are also great quality. In my opinion Osborne tools have gone down in quality and durability unless you pick up some of their older tools. New Osborne and Tandy tools are pretty much the same and at their price point you just need to spend a little bit more for something from a better maker.

Edited by chrstn53

Watts horse shoe brand tools are amazing quality all the way around, you won't be sorry when ordering anything he offers. King, weaver and Ron's tools are also great quality. In my opinion Osborne tools have gone down in quality and durability unless you pick up some of their older tools. New Osborne and Tandy tools are pretty much the same and at their price point you just need to spend a little bit more for something from a better maker.

In my opinion, Tandy makes very few tools that compare to osborne, I have and use both... I have never had an issue with an osborne tool, old or new...

I would add a +1 to all of the above, with a special mention of Clay Miller. He's a member on here and an excellent tool maker. He is also willing to custom make tools to your specifications. He made a set of steep angle fine checkered bevelers that I reach for all the time. He has a selection of standard tooling gear, but if you have a specific request, you should contact him. He's great to work with.

Mike

Bearman mauls and burnishers are fantastic: http://www.leatherburnishers.com/

Barry King, as mentioned above, makes excellent quality tools for an affordable price. Careful of duties if you're not in the USA though!

Bob Beard tools: Ah, the Cadillac of leatherworking stamps and tools. Expensive, his work is top-notch (and the best custom tool maker I've worked with), and worth the wait.

goodsjapan.com: A great source for knives, skivers, burnishing compounds and the like. I have their edgers (Craft Sha), stitching set (Kyoshin Elle), and their burnishing compound. Very happy with all.

turtlefeathers.com for Angelus dyes