jwwright

Plate Riggings

I have been building quite a few plate riggings lately. I cut my riggings from where most makers do, the butt, and take my linings from lower places on the hide. I have been thinking about ways to make the riggins thinner. Recently, I looked over a saddle that the rigging plate was lined with about 7 oz latigo. Seems to me like this would be too stretchy, but this saddle has been used pretty hard for 9 years, and the rigging is still in good shape.

What I would like to know from others who build plate rigs, is......what do you do for the linings? Do you use some good lighter strap leather?.....or ?

Many Thanks, JW

JW I use skirting from elsewhere in the hide to linemine. 20 years ago I worked in a shop where we lined them with latigo and I wasn't real impressed, What is your customer gonna think the first time it gets wet if the latigo bleeds on the skirting and they have an ugly red stain seeping out on the skirts around the rigging? greg

Edited by greg gomersall

Thanks for your thoughts Greg. That is what I thought about the latigo also.......if it bled it would sure be a mess. Since I don't have a splitter to thin down linings cut from a skirting side,......would some good firm 8 - 10 oz strap leather be suitable for the linings? Thanks, JW

JW,

I have seen the "bleed" problem that Greg described in a couple of different colors. The majority of them had red bleeds but I have also seen a yellow bleed as well. I would strongly discourage the latigo lining for that reason alone. Just my 2 cents worth.

Regards,

Ben

One of the shops I worked for used latigo for linings and used a non-stretch fabric like kevlar in between to solve the stretch problem. Latigo certainly has a propensity for stretch. Bleeding color is certainly a factor, but it is un-seen unless one lifts the rigging and looks under.

Thinner leather both top and bottom is functional for thinner riggings, so long as you are carefull of the quality of leather used. The thinner the leather, the better the leather must be.

JW, a splitter is one of the best and most used tools you can have. I would be unable to do the work that I do without one. They are worth the investment!

Keith

Thank You for your thoughts Keith. I have been building saddles just about full time for nearly a year now, and I sure do want a splitter. My major investments this year were a couple of sewing machines.........an Artisan, and an old Singer for light work such as leggins. A splitter will be my next major purchase for the shop. Any suggestions Keith, (and all others) about splitters? Many Thanks, JW

JW,

I acquired some cast-off kevlar material from work (we used it to build up into composites of graphite, aluminim, kevlar and other materials). I used it for some dee and buckle wear areas for some rock climbing harnesses and other places like carpenters bags. It wears quite well. Another person has used it for his English riding stirrup leathers where they pass over the dee. He has been using it for quite some time and is extremely happy with the fact that as a sandwich material it provides excellent strength and wear.

I haven't tried it in linings for riggings since consulting work has kept me away from doing saddles.

The first real splitter that I purchased was a 10" Chase. I really like it due to the size, ease of sharpening and setup as well as it generally doesn't set you back as much as others when you buy it. I think that Bruce also has one. I have used several variations of the Osborne . I would also think that something like a Krebs would be beneficial as well since it aids in moving the material through the splitter. Of course these are smaller hand splitters and you can also look at larger ones and powered ones but $$$ come into play there. Of course if you can justify it then I would say go for it.

Regards,

Ben

J.W.

Since I don't have a large splitter, I always keep 10-11 oz. strap for flat plates. I always take them out of the butts and use the rest for saddle bags and such. This makes a nice thin plate with plenty of strength. I like that idea of using a piece of Kevlar sandwiched between the two pieces! Great minds at work here!

If you are going to look at splitters down the road, look for a 16" Camoga or Fortuna band knife. Keep in mind though, these are all 3 phase machines and can't be converted.

Jon

JW,

I was thinking about the band knifes and such and then Jon posted his reply. Talk with Bruce about these because I believe that he has been on a diagnostic mission about them and may give some good advice and direction.

Regards,

Ben