Cletus2014

Fil Au Chinois Thread Problems

Thank you. Its just saddle stitch really, I do cast the thread on the reverse side and when I stitch I make sure my hands are moving the thread in the direction I want it, so as I pull the tread through my right hand is going down and my left hand is going up to position the thread correctly in the stitch mark. Its all about consistency though, if you do exactly the same thing every time, you'll get the same result every time, good or bad.

For both the photos the stitch marks are in the top piece of leather only, the stitch marks are made before the strap/belt is assembled. If Im making somthing like a wallet thats more double sided I do punch the stich marks as far through the assembled piece as possible.

Thank you again!

I dont cut a channel, unless it was quite wide you couldnt fit a slanted stitch in it. I do use a crease mark as a guide and a little recess for the stitching though. The line ouside the stitching is again a crease mark, this time applied after the stitching with a filiteuse. Its partially decorative but also helps to shape, compress and round the edge.

The blanchard irons leave a really nice mark. They arent tiny, but very slim blades and very consistent. Remember they count tpi not spi though, a Blanchard 10 is approx 9 spi

I also just back stitch a couple of stitches to finish. I was the thread to stitch with as normal when I use it so its still a little grippy. I imagine people do use it with no extra wax, its much harder to handle if you do though

Charlie

Sorry Charlie,

I wrote this up before I noticed a reply from you. Great work by the way!

Sorry Charlie,

I wrote this up before I noticed a reply from you. Great work by the way!

Thank you and no problem re the reply, rather more detailed than mine anyway!

Charlie

Charlie and Union Craft...and David L...and everyone else too -

I can't tell you how much I appreciate your guidance and considered answers to my many questions about the finer points of stitching and its various tools and materials. You've posted excellent examples and made suggestions that can actually be acted on, which is invaluable to me as well as, I'm sure, the other newbies reading this post with great interest.

The more I practice and read and learn and the more time I spend here, soaking up the knowledge, the more I begin to truly understand the sheer breadth and scope of this noble craft. Of the many disciplines one needs to be proficient in fine leatherwork, proper stitching technique alone is enough to keep me engaged for some time to come. It seems I'm still at that stage where I 'don't know what I don't know' to some degree, but I'm beginning to get a handle on things and realizing some direction - at least on the parts where I most need the practice.

At this point, right as I'm beginning to feel comfortable controlling my awl (and about where it might poke through the backside of the leather) I think I need to stop what I'm doing and go back to square one on my actual saddle stitch technique. Just when I thought I was getting the hang of it, it appears what I'm actually doing is getting a few bad habits down to rote and I would be better off starting over again doing some things the right way from the outset.

I can see I'm rambling now - I'm at the end of a 12 hour nightshift and sleepy - and best get to bed before putting everyone else here to sleep too! Thanks again for your thoughtful remarks and instruction - be seeing you all again soon.

I feel like with thicker thread it is much easier to keep the threads oriented correctly in the hole as you pull them tight. With thinner thread I have to really slow down and make sure they stay oriented correctly. Many times if I put the second needle through the bottom of the hole as I pull the two threads through it flip flops and ends up on the top of the hole which ruins your stitch line. I need to just practice more (and more importantly take my time when I stitch).

Hope that helps.

Referring to pictures you posted at http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=55732#entry357442, it seems you have problems with consistency of stitching. It seems needles doesn't pass each other on the same side every time (important) nor your thread tension is equally from stitch to stitch. Take a look at Nigels excellent video about stitching on Youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGuiha5S2oE)