mrtreat32

Rounding A Corner With A Pricking Iron (Vergez Blanchard)

Yes I have seen I think most of them now a few months back when I started but I dont remember every detail since its a lot to take in at once.

so go back and watch again. i pick up something new every time i watch them.

Also he has over 15hrs of footage so finding something specific would take a long time? Unless there is a way to search specific details in the video Im not sure?

1. you will have to invest time to learn. i don't know of any way to get instant knowledge.

2. yes, he has a lot of videos but like i said, he covers beginning and ending with backstitching in multiple videos...so pretty much any you pick that show him making an item (iphone slip case, wallet, messenger bag, etc.), he will demonstrate and talk about beginning and ending with backstitching. it's not that hard to find.

From what I remember he also does it very different from the link I posted and from what I have read elsewhere. I find his videos that I have seen to be very informative but they are not the FINAL word on all things leather sewing IMO.

uhhh...well his work looks a lot better than a lot of the so-called "experts" on here to me.

If he answered all questions to suit everyones style of work we could all just bookmark his videos and there would be no use for the forum.

For example he uses Tiger thread I believe and to me it looks far too chunky when sewing 9spi so Im looking to learn from other sources and get other peoples input as well.

ok, whatever. don't see the point of reinventing the wheel. the way he stitches appears just about identical to the way shown in Stohlman's hand stitching book, but you go on ahead and do it..."different"...whatever that might be.

also i'm pretty sure your technique wouldn't need to change much based on what thread you use except maybe how much tension you use when tightening the stitch...

Edited by northmount
remove comment

To answer your question you reverse the stitching. So when you start one hole back and stitch away from you you go right needle first...left needle on top...left needle through on topside of the hole...then cast or not case depending on what you want to do....then pull tight. Then when you stitch back towards yourself you follow the process you have already listed.

The easy way to remember is which way the holes are pointing relative to the direction you are stitching. If you are stitching towards yourself and the holes are pointing down and towards you the second needle goes underneath the first. If you are stitching away from you and the holes are pointing up and away the second needle goes on top of the first.

Hope that helps.

Edited by northmount
remove comment

Joe I thought your comment about using the wing dividers for tight curves was good advice for that is what I use when the overstitch wheel dont want to make the radius.

Joe I thought your comment about using the wing dividers for tight curves was good advice for that is what I use when the overstitch wheel dont want to make the radius.

Thanks! It's worked pretty well for me so far.

there is an ebay seller that has fil au chinois 4 dollars cheaper than fine leather working.

David

Got A link?

To answer your question you reverse the stitching. So when you start one hole back and stitch away from you you go right needle first...left needle on top...left needle through on topside of the hole...then cast or not case depending on what you want to do....then pull tight. Then when you stitch back towards yourself you follow the process you have already listed.

The easy way to remember is which way the holes are pointing relative to the direction you are stitching. If you are stitching towards yourself and the holes are pointing down and towards you the second needle goes underneath the first. If you are stitching away from you and the holes are pointing up and away the second needle goes on top of the first.

Hope that helps.

Yes I think so ! so reverse the order of which needle goes in first? If I normally bring the left hand needle through first I would bring the right instead? I would also reverse which needle lies on top from how I normally stitch? Did that make sense?

so go back and watch again. i pick up something new every time i watch them.

1. you will have to invest time to learn. i don't know of any way to get instant knowledge.

2. yes, he has a lot of videos but like i said, he covers beginning and ending with backstitching in multiple videos...so pretty much any you pick that show him making an item (iphone slip case, wallet, messenger bag, etc.), he will demonstrate and talk about beginning and ending with backstitching. it's not that hard to find.

uhhh...well his work looks a lot better than a lot of the so-called "experts" on here to me.

ok, whatever. don't see the point of reinventing the wheel. the way he stitches appears just about identical to the way shown in Stohlman's hand stitching book, but you go on ahead and do it..."different"...whatever that might be.

also i'm pretty sure your technique wouldn't need to change much based on what thread you use except maybe how much tension you use when tightening the stitch...

Im not trying to reinvent the wheel but I have tried changing very small things in my sewing technique and each one changes the result a fair amount. If it was as simple as following Stohlmans book everyones stitching would look pretty much identical but thats not the case IMO. I think different tools making different size indentations etc all contribute to the changes. The process of saddle stitching is similar but tons of factors add up to make it also Very different from my limited experience.

I live in nyc and all the pizza places use pretty much flour, water, tomatoes, and cheese but to say that just following that formula will give you a great result just isn't accurate. Some are clearly much better than others based on many small factors.. I think a lot of the same principles apply to any craft.

Im not saying my stitching would look great if I had a certain thread and it would be shit with another but the sizes clearly look different from one another regardless of tension.

Yes I think so ! so reverse the order of which needle goes in first? If I normally bring the left hand needle through first I would bring the right instead? I would also reverse which needle lies on top from how I normally stitch? Did that make sense?

You can still go right needle first. Just put the left needle on top of the right instead of underneath.

Im not trying to reinvent the wheel but I have tried changing very small things in my sewing technique and each one changes the result a fair amount. If it was as simple as following Stohlmans book everyones stitching would look pretty much identical but thats not the case IMO. I think different tools making different size indentations etc all contribute to the changes. The process of saddle stitching is similar but tons of factors add up to make it also Very different from my limited experience.

I live in nyc and all the pizza places use pretty much flour, water, tomatoes, and cheese but to say that just following that formula will give you a great result just isn't accurate. Some are clearly much better than others based on many small factors.. I think a lot of the same principles apply to any craft.

Im not saying my stitching would look great if I had a certain thread and it would be shit with another but the sizes clearly look different from one another regardless of tension.

Edited by northmount
Removed comment

You can still go right needle first. Just put the left needle on top of the right instead of underneath.

Don't bother to try and use reason on him. He doesn't get it.

I go left needle first when normally stitching. So keep it that way just reverse which needle goes on top? And than on my way back (stitching towards me) switch back to the needles I normally put on top.

David

Got A link?

:coffeecomp: same here

I go left needle first when normally stitching. So keep it that way just reverse which needle goes on top? And than on my way back (stitching towards me) switch back to the needles I normally put on top.

:coffeecomp: same here

Yes. I believe you have that correctly. Give it a try on some scrap and see how it comes out.

when in doubt go to the Nige :notworthy:

Nigel Armitage's videos have been a very good resource for learning good hand sewing techniques on leather. :thumbsup:

Yes. I believe you have that correctly. Give it a try on some scrap and see how it comes out.

thanks gonna give it a shot when I get home tonight.

David

Got A link?

I can't find it now.. I saw it not even two days ago on ebay from a seller in washington I believe that had 500-1000 sales he/she only had 432 and 332 in almost every colour.

When I come across it il send you the link.