BAD HIDE

Nakajima 380 Cylinder Arm Machine

Yet another "should I buy this" post. It's in good condition, $750, has reverse and adjustable stitch length, can sew up to 207 thread, and has clutch motor. It doesn't say it's a walking foot, and the pictures aren't good enough to tell.

What I want it for - I mostly do small wallets, belts, and bags, but I'd be ok with continuing to hand sew these items. I'm looking towards making waxed canvas gear and getting into shoe making (sewing uppers), so will this serve until I can buy a walking foot or post machine?

I was looking into getting a new Consew 206RB-5 walking foot flatbed for this type of work when I noticed this deal come up on Craig'slist. There's very little about this machine online, so I am a little hesitant to snatch it up. Is it a good brand? Is it hard to get presser feet and accessories? Would I be disappointed after spending the money for the machine, servo conversion, and extras only to find out this is fundamentally the wrong machine for what I want?

Edited by BAD HIDE

I researched the NakaJima 380 a bit and found these facts:

1. It is a triple feed, light to medium duty, walking foot machine.
  2. It has reverse.
  3. It will sew with #138 thread top and bottom.
  4. It has limited sewing capacity under the lowered feet; just under 1/4 inch

In contrast, a Consew 206RB-5 can sew into 3/8 inch of material

Nakajima was bought out by Juki many years ago.They redsigned the machines & parts put new model # on them & some parts are no longer available for this model.

Thanks Wiz and Bob, that's just what I needed to know.

I think I'll pass on this craigslist post for now, parts compatibility and capacity aren't what I want to sign up for. There's just so many machines and makes out there, it's hard to keep track when a supposedly good deal comes around. Bob, I'll be talking to you soonish...

This forum's awesome, it saves so many headaches before they even become a problem.