Kako

Singer 29-4 Stitch Length And Foot Pressure Adjustments

Hi everyone. I've acquired a Singer 29-4 from a retired European Cobbler here in New York City. After a bumpy first couple of weeks with a loose belt, parts needing to be oiled and a missing threading rod, I've gotten this ageless machine to work. I'd like to be able to adjust the stitch length and the foot pressure. The foot leaves tracks wherever it makes contact and I am hoping to loosen up it's grip a little. Also, I'd like to be able to adjust the length of the stitch depending on what I am working on. The stitch also is laid down with a slight zig zag which looks very sloppy. I have the manual from Singer but it does not visually show where the adjustments are and Googling doesn't pull up the information I need. I don't want to fiddle with parts of the machine that I don't need to lest that it works worse afterwards or that I may even break something that will be hard to replace.

As much as I would like to strip it down and give it a thorough cleaning and oiling, I only have a limited amount of time and I'd rather be using the machine rather than fixing it. I've attached some photos to give you an idea of what I'm working with. The manual says that the stitch regulator controls the stitch length and the thumb screw held by the lock nut controls the pressure on the material. I see a thumb nut in the photo showing the back. I will have a better idea of the lock nut where it is when I return home. Is that the right thumb nut? As for the stitch regulator, I have no clue. It may be a very obvious piece of hardware to those who have experience with sewing machines. I can take more pics for anyone who would like more detailed photos. Thank you guys for your inspiration.

post-31543-0-58999100-1402862460_thumb.j

post-31543-0-47159000-1402862488_thumb.j

The foot pressure is controlled by the long leaf spring along the back. There is a thumbscrew under the pivot axle on the top trapeze mechanism. That screw tightens or loosens the pressure as you adjust its position.

There is a sliding regulator gib on the back of the presser foot and above it. There is a thumbscrew that secures the gib in place. Raise the foot with the hand lift lever, then loosen the screw on the gib, slide it all the way down until it touches the top of the foot mount, then lock it in place. That is the maximum stitch length setting.

On a like new patcher, the maximum stitch length into 8 ounces is 5 to the inch. On a worn out 100 year old patcher you'll be lucky to get 7 or 8 to the inch into 8 ounces. If you find that the stitch length doesn't improve with the regulator gib all the way down to the raised foot, try wiggling the foot forward and backward. If it moves more than 1/16 inch, it is shot. If it moves between 1/64 and 3/64, it may be savable by brazing, shaping and polishing bronze welding rod material onto the inside "puck" that slides inside the round ring under the head.

Edited by Wizcrafts

Hi,

I know this is an old post but it is pertinent to my current situation. I have a 29-2 and I've been trying to get it serviceable. Currently I'm getting about 6.5 stitches per inch at best adjusted to the longest possible stitch length. Wizcrafts you stated in the previous comment about a part being savable depending on the amount of wiggle in the foot while raised(I have minimal motion so I am hoping this is the case for me). I'm just not clear which part you are actually talking about. Is it the regulator gib or the other part you mention that you describe as the inside "puck" that slides inside the ring under the head? Or is it something else entirely? Also if it is possible to get the actual part names for any of the elements that would effect stitch length(regulator gib being one) for reference if I consider replacement on any of them that would be ever so helpful. while a parts list for the 29-2 has been elusive I know many of the parts for other 29s are the same. On that note if there is anyone in this forum with an actual 29-2 manual or parts list I would be very grateful for a digital copy. 

If the stitch is that long your lucky,because the max length on the newer models is only 7 pr in.The part that gets worn is called a bell crank lever,I call the part a tongue it's part #8167 & fits in the ring part.All the 29-4 parts are the same except the hand lift lever AFAIK.There's a hole in the ring of part#82053 that needs oiled once in a while to prevent this from getting wornout.

Here's a 29-4 parts listhttp://parts.singerco.com/IPpartCharts/29-4.pdf

Here's the operators manual f/a 29-4

29-4 Parts List from Singer.pdf

Edited by CowboyBob

2 minutes ago, CowboyBob said:

If the stitch is that long your lucky,because the max length on the newer models is only 7 pr in.The part that gets worn is called a bell crank lever,I call the part a tongue it's part #8167 & fits in the ring part.All the 29-4 parts are the same except the hand lift lever AFAIK.There's a hole in the ring of part#82053 that needs oiled once in a while to prevent this from getting wornout.

Here's a 29-4 parts listhttp://parts.singerco.com/IPpartCharts/29-4.pdf

Here's the operators manual f/a 29-4

29-4 oper.man..pdf

4 hours ago, Wiccadwitch said:

Hi,

I know this is an old post but it is pertinent to my current situation. I have a 29-2 and I've been trying to get it serviceable. Currently I'm getting about 6.5 stitches per inch at best adjusted to the longest possible stitch length. Wizcrafts you stated in the previous comment about a part being savable depending on the amount of wiggle in the foot while raised(I have minimal motion so I am hoping this is the case for me). I'm just not clear which part you are actually talking about. Is it the regulator gib or the other part you mention that you describe as the inside "puck" that slides inside the ring under the head? Or is it something else entirely? Also if it is possible to get the actual part names for any of the elements that would effect stitch length(regulator gib being one) for reference if I consider replacement on any of them that would be ever so helpful. while a parts list for the 29-2 has been elusive I know many of the parts for other 29s are the same. On that note if there is anyone in this forum with an actual 29-2 manual or parts list I would be very grateful for a digital copy. 

That stitch length is good at 6.5 some are much worse.  As part of the test, when your sewing turn the bell and if the stitch gets smaller in certain positions that mean the track is worn. Here as a nice slide show on the parts after the head is taken apart.  I am not sure if the 29-2 head has the exact parts as this, but the idea is the same. You can is from this side (looking upside down) how the bell moves in the track, once that gets worn I recommend you replace them both.  Take a look at the blog and see if that helps, it's a fair amount of work to get it all apart, clean it then put it all back, but not impossible.

http://northants-restoration.blogspot.com/

5aa1b71877a9a_Singer29stitch.jpg.85ca05ae1a22d62698df123a0aa13b5d.jpg

Thanks everyone for the replies! while I appreciate the links to the manuals I already found the manual and parts list for the 29-4. Mine is however a 29-2. That wasn't a typo it is a 29-2. I even called singer in the hopes they had something not on the website in regard to manuals. The machines are very similar but there are a few differences and I do not know how far those differences extend in regards to inner workings. I know there are a few differences just externally that are pretty obvious.  Anyway the info on the parts is very helpful. I really appreciate that. I am also glad to hear my stitch length isn't that bad. My reading indicated that it should get 5 so I was feeling that I needed to improve it further if possible. Hearing that my machine is actually doing well for his age is pretty nice. 

Cowboybob you mention part #82053 but I am not seeing that part # in the parts list can you perhaps tell me which page it is on so I can narrow it down at least? I'm sure I am just missing it but I've scanned the document multiple times and still not spotted it. 

Based on what I can see of the parts externally I am fairly sure that the parts of the head are virtually the same between the 29-2 and the 29-4 but without taking mine apart obviously I cant say with total certainty.   that slideshow is fantastic though and might make me brave enough to actually risk dismantling my machine to check those parts(eventually if his stitches start getting into the intolerable range).