Jimbob

Now Or Never....a Banjo Case For Dad..

OK, folks.....been wanting to do that for several years now....never got to it....now it is>> now or never<<

Da is turning 80 this year in December and I am going to build him a banjo case....custom made one of a kind !!

He plays banjo for about 60 plus years now so I thought it is time for a nice case!!!!! :)

Has anybody ever build one, like what to use on the outer shell....how to build the inside with foam and flees....how to attach the carved leather to the shell and and and....lot of questions!!??

Maybe someone can help me to make this a swell case and hopefully my Dad is gonna like it...

thanks for all the hints.

James

OK, folks.....been wanting to do that for several years now....never got to it....now it is>> now or never<<

Da is turning 80 this year in December and I am going to build him a banjo case....custom made one of a kind !!

He plays banjo for about 60 plus years now so I thought it is time for a nice case!!!!! :)

Has anybody ever build one, like what to use on the outer shell....how to build the inside with foam and flees....how to attach the carved leather to the shell and and and....lot of questions!!??

Maybe someone can help me to make this a swell case and hopefully my Dad is gonna like it...

thanks for all the hints.

Volume III of Al Stohman's books on making leather cases has quite extensive directions for making a guitar case. A banjo case should be even easier, and judging from the level of work shown on your site, should be well within your ability

James

I thought I had this book, found out I have the other two....thanks for the hint and praise....will be a "biggie" but is has to be done..haha

thanks

Jimbob, . . . how about buying a really good, professionally made, commercial case, . . . then covering the outside with your hand done carvings and stampings?

It would save you a lot of time, . . . it would give him a seriously sturdy case (i play music, . . . this IS important), . . . and would allow you to concentrate on the designs, . . . scenes, . . . etc that would bring a real smile to his face.

Just a suggestion, . . . but it is what I would do, . . . and in fact, will probably do next winter for my guitar. My 30+ year old case is really good on the inside, . . . but a few too many nicks and dings in the outside, . . . therefore it gets a new skin.

May God bless,

Dwight

Jimbob, . . . how about buying a really good, professionally made, commercial case, . . . then covering the outside with your hand done carvings and stampings?

It would save you a lot of time, . . . it would give him a seriously sturdy case (i play music, . . . this IS important), . . . and would allow you to concentrate on the designs, . . . scenes, . . . etc that would bring a real smile to his face.

Just a suggestion, . . . but it is what I would do, . . . and in fact, will probably do next winter for my guitar. My 30+ year old case is really good on the inside, . . . but a few too many nicks and dings in the outside, . . . therefore it gets a new skin.

May God bless,

Dwight

Dwight

That is maybe the solution to my problem....sure like to do the hole thing and claim I did it all myself....also would be able to customice the inside of the case and play a bit...haha...but then who has all this time...?!

I am also aware of how expensive new good cases are....and yes it is importand to have a good case, Dad has 3 banjos and I think each one costs more then I have in my used car...haha...now my little man has just started to switch from guitar to banjo...so we might need a second case soon...szzzzzz...hahaha....

Glad I play the blues harp...haha...my cases are done fast....!!!!

Thanks for the input!!

Jimboob...***