catskin

American Straight Needle Parts Needed

I want to convert my American straight needle from a sole stitcher to a straight stitcher so I need 3 or 4 parts I know they exist because I have seen vid's on the net of them being used. What I need is the flat table, the harness needle plate and the harness foot. If anyone has these parts or knows where they might be available I would be greatful if you would let me know.

If you have them you can PM me details including price.

I made a flat plate for mine out of a piece of 1/4" steel. You can make a pattern out of poster board, took me maybe 10 / 15 minutes to make and half and hour to cut it with a hacksaw. I used the pointed foot that comes on them i guess it worked fine. I never have seen a flat table your talking about i don't think. My had a tray that fit on the pedestal part.

Bob Kovar at Toledo Industrial probably has, or knows where to find, what you need.

Thanks for the replies. I thought about making one and I might yet, I've done that sort of thing before. I am hoping Bob might reply on here sending E-mails to him hasn't gotten an answer maybe they don't get through.

If you want to see how the flat table works google American straight needle and look at the video that Lisa Sorrell has on, she shows it plus the sole stitching plate.

Any body else with any ideas I will be glad to hear from you.

PS to Dirtclod

Did you replace the sole stitching plate or make a flat to fit around it?

Edited by catskin

No,I don't have any American parts,I do know thw flatbed harness plate isn't that hard to make.Have you tried Pilgrim Shoe in Mass?

Thanks Bob. The sole stitcher plate part S-8-76 has a little piece on the bottom called a thread retainer, part S-8-76C the book does not mention it for the harness plate is it needed with the harness plate if I make one?

For those who have a book the parts I am looking at are S-8-96 and S-8-98 and S-8-99 and S-8-99B to replace parts S-8-76, S-8-76C ,S-3-81.

I just took the shoe plate off and put the flat one on. You do need to countersink the screw holes just like on the shoe plate. The plate i made is like what she has on her machine but i didn't make mine that long.

Edited by dirtclod

Thanks DC

I guess I need to get to work, I might make mine even longer since I will be sewing pieces as much as 6 feet long.

Just I case someone needs a book I ended up with more than one copy so I would be able to send one to people for a reasonable cost if they need one.

I sewed tugs, check lines and work harness bridles on my short plate and never had any problems.

Thank DC for your insight. I also will be sewing harness traces and such, I have A cowboy 4500 but after seeing one of these in a museum this spring I couldn't resist when the guy said he'd sell me this one.

I made a flat plate for mine this afternoon and it works good, you guys were right it wasn't that hard to make, would have been even better with the right tools. It sure is easier to sew flat pieces with this plate compared to the sole stitching plate.

It tends to want to turn the work since the foot has that paddle on the inside that creates a bit of drag.

Now if I could just find somebody that has a foot that fits the shaft that I could buy even broken, as long as it would fit the shaft I could build the foot on to it.

I could grind the paddle off this one but I would rather keep it and the plate for sewing soles in case I or the next owner wanted to do that sometime.

The needles are pretty pricey. Don't try to sew any nylon are anything like you will break the hook off of the needle when it hangs in the material on the down stroke and $3.00 is gone with the wind.

DC.

$3.00 !!!!! I paid $8.50 for the ones I got from Landis international. The awl that came with it is a champion ( that's the name on it) and it is the same as the Gros-Beckert that I got so champion awls might be cheaper. I would guess champion needles would be the same too. Yes I am aware that they are NOT for sewing anything but leather.

On 6/28/2014 at 10:47 PM, dirtclod said:

The needles are pretty pricey. Don't try to sew any nylon are anything like you will break the hook off of the needle when it hangs in the material on the down stroke and $3.00 is gone with the wind.

Where are you buying needles for $3.00   I can't find them that cheap anywhere, best price is 100 needles and they want $8-9.00 for each needle.  

3 hours ago, CarolinaTackMan said:

Where are you buying needles for $3.00 

Did you notice that this last reply was posted 8 years ago, in 2014? Things have changed price and supply wise since then. You might want to place an ad in our Marketplace section under Wanted

You can also check with Shoe Systems Plus and Campbell-Randall company. Both deal with needle and awl machines. Measure your awl length and the width of the top shank. Chances are better then null that it will be close to an awl from a different machine.

On 7/13/2022 at 7:50 AM, CarolinaTackMan said:

Where are you buying needles for $3.00   I can't find them that cheap anywhere, best price is 100 needles and they want $8-9.00 for each needle.  

Sorry I'm so late answering I had some health problems. I got the needles from New England Needle twenty years ago I have no ideal what they sell for now. I hope you find some at a good price.