meagain

Utterly Lost Re Antiquing/highlighting - Please Advice Which Product I Want?

Hi. I've spent ages searching for this and remain completely confused. Here's what I want to do.... After the piece is dyed and painted - all I want to do is to be able to 'highlight' the carvings, grooves, nooks/crannies. Such as a pink flower with carved lines in it. Not black - something neutral but on the warm side, just a pleasant highlight color :)

Ideally I'd like to be able to color this highlight stuff to be light or a color other than 'browns'. But if it doesn't exist - that's fine LOL

Antique Dye, Antique Stain, Antique Finish, Hi-light bla bla, I'm losing it. If someone could help me out I'd really appreciate it. I have Super-Shene and Fiebings Resolyne and understand the concept of them being a resist. Otherwise - maybe I need a good resist product? I'm using acrylic paints and dyes for my newbie self to start out with.

Obviously to me, the tooling part of all this is simple compared to this vast universe of this Forum subject matter :o Thank you!

Here are the colors I have found for Fiebings Antique colors http://rowensworld.com/store/Fiebings_Antique_Finish_32oz_21981-.html. It sounds like your painting and then putting Antique on without putting the resist on first. Dye dry - Resist dry - Antique , wipe , dry , resist - Paint dry, Resist again if you wish with Acrylic paint you don't have to. Keep coats lite and you may need 2 or so lite coats most mix resist 50/50 . The products you have will work fine for you at this time . I am not real good at this but someother may have more info for you.

I kinda do the same thing as papaw. I don't use paint, but, after I use a spirit dye I'll either apply Tan Kote or Wyosheen as a resist using sheeps wool and then either Fiebings antique paste or Tandy's eco flo antique gel depending on the tone i want. A light coat of Tan Kote will allow a slight tone change on your piece where as the Wyosheen won't. Also, I've found that the Fiebings paste with the Wyosheen as resist doesn't seem to change the tone, just setttles in the grooves. Again, the sheeps wool works well to remove the solids after it dries. Might be worth a shot.

Sure would be nice if there was a way to make colored paste.