Colt W Knight

Econosew Model 2060E8Bld

http://tucson.craigslist.org/for/4532301313.html

I always watch local ads for a possible good deal on a leather sewing machine, but to be quite honest, I know didly squat about sewing machines.

This one came up for 400$ then relisted at 450$.

Econosew MODEL 2060E8BLD

Anyone knowledgeable of this machine?

I am saving up for a Cowboy CB3200, but would prefer to snag a good deal locally.

Thanks for looking.

It says $400 now and that's a good price for a walking foot machine in its apparent good condition.

The machine is similar to a Chandler 406RB, or Consew 206RB. A typical walking foot machine, it can sew up to 3/8 inch, but with difficulty. A safer limit is maybe 5/16 inches. It will handle #138 bonded nylon thread, top and bottom, all day, using a #23 needle. If you move up to a #24 needle, you can run #207 on top, with 138 in the bobbin.

If you are saving for a CB3200, presumably from Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines, you probably have projects reaching a half inch, maybe requiring #346 thread. This is way beyond the capabilities of the Econosew model on Craigslist, or any other upholstery grade machine.

The CB3200, 3500, 4500 and 5500 are type 441 machines. They are often called clones of the Juki TSC 441, but are so highly modified as to be in a class all their own. They outperform the Juki when sewing leather. The Juki is setup to sew buffing wheels, heavy webbing and tents/parachutes, etc. The 441 types sold by our dealers are custom built and modified, then specially adjusted and equipped to sew leather by default.

Thanks for the Info.

This machine is super tempting. 1) I can afford it, 2) It is local, and 3) 5/16" is enough to sew guitar straps and most of the leather stuff I do now. However, I do have plans for some projects that are thicker, and this is a flat bed machine. I also like the aesthetics of thick thread.

Another thing to think about is that flatbed machines have trouble sewing items with raised or lowered surfaces on one side, especially the left side. I sewed padded and suede lined rifle slings for a while on a National 300N walking foot machine. They had a 9 inch foam pad in the shoulder area. Sewing on the grain side caused the presser foot to leave deep tracks in the area just next to the natural raised section, about 1/2 inch in from the edges.

Later on, the owner of the shop got a Cobra 441 type machine. We ground down the left edge of an extra standard throat plate to about 1/16" or so from the feed dog cutout in the plate and it allowed the top of the leather to lie flat, while the pad and lining hung down rather than up, as I sewed around the padded area. There were little to no track marks using that cylinder arm machine.

I personally bought a Cowboy CB4500, which is used in my leather shop. It sews 7/8 inches of leather, webbing, etc, with thread most folks would call "rope." The CB3200 you are thinking about is this machine's newest little brother.

I might wait a bit on this machine, and if it doesn't sell, I might offer them a bit less. I know better than to try to settle on tools, and go ahead a buy the good stuff to start with.