AlabamaOutlaw

Can You Tell Me What These Unmarked Tools Are?

I'm relatively new to leather working and some of these tools I dont know what there called or there purpose, I Just got them with the extremely large collection I bought fro a guy that had obviously been collecting and toolings since the 60s with some of the tools i have and old as the hills craftaids, Some of these seem to be knives, there need when you have a few swivel knives is unknown to me. The pink one has a little blade Iin it that swivels, Like a swivel knife but has proved useless in my hands, And the one with the spoon on one end, I dont know what the other end is or the slightest clue on these others. Please Excuse my ignorance, But you dont know until you ask.

Anyhealp is much appreciated.

Could you try and post pictures of them?

Your going to have to post bigger pictures for me to help. I can't see the ends good enough. The bottom one is a modeling spoon on one end and a stylist (used to trace patterns among other things) on the other. I think I see a hair blade and a groover but I'm not sure.

The bottom one is a modeling spoon on one end and a stylus

FTFY

I agree, having grown up using a wood lathe, those are lathe tools.

Yep all the ones at the top are what are sold as wood carving chisels but are patterned on wood turning chisels. Most are not really that good for either, being the wrong pattern for carving and too short handled for turning.

thanks so much, Still curious about the square one right before those though. And im pretty sure the middle below is for shaving the backs side of the leather, But want to mamke sure. not a clue on the others.

post-53572-0-38563800-1405321269_thumb.j

post-53572-0-14962400-1405321297_thumb.j

post-53572-0-12992400-1405321359_thumb.j

The wood handled tools are the very cheapest and crappiest of wood carving chisels made in the orient and sold in catalogs and discount stores since the Korean War, The next thing.......tweezers? Then we have a leather modeling tool of the deerfoot type that is missing it's grip. hen we have a swivel knife that is sold for cutting stencils and similar tasks for crafts like tole paintng. scrapbooking, etc. Last is a normal modeling tool made in the 70's to 80's judging from the red rubber handle.

thanks so much, Still curious about the square one right before those though. And im pretty sure the middle below is for shaving the backs side of the leather, But want to mamke sure. not a clue on the others.

First 3 are snap setters, middle is indeed a super skiver and the pliers look to be some sort of setter but I don't know what for. The pics in the next post I don't know, maybe a lacing chisel?

Also the 4th from the bottom with all the wood working tools, That is a Thong Chisel I finally found it in one of my books from the late 60's or early 70's by Bruce Grant simply named Leather Braiding. It's a dandy book, sure enough!

Havent found out much about the pink one besides that its made by Xacto Knives and Blades

Well I guess I'm a little late this morning, looks like the tools have been identified. Oh well, maybe next time... :P

Your going to have to explain that one to me. My social media skills dont go much past lol

I do not recognize it either. Looked it up and found three possibilities, none of which made since in the context and one of which was vulgar and can not be posted here.

Well im a 3rd generation Mechanic, Restoration/Insurance Body Man Along with my other business which is custom luthiery and vacuum tube amp designs. So with a full shop at my disposal, Being a gun nut and I went into this leather working thing full blast, Its something ive always wanted to do, So once I get the hang of things, I fully intend to make my own tools to suit my news, Also interested in making stamps. And at some point would like to help folks out because these tools are way overpiced. And in bodywork and restoration, along with guitar building I am always making my own tools.

And Id also just like to thank everyone for coming in and helping me out with everything, So excited to be apart of the community of here of such great folks.

Edited by AlabamaOutlaw

I do not recognize it either. Looked it up and found three possibilities, none of which made since in the context and one of which was vulgar and can not be posted here.

http://www.acronymfinder.com/Fixed-That-for-You-(FTFY).html

As in I changed it from "stylist" to "stylus" (the CORRECT term for the tool).