paracordman

Keep Black Dye From Running Off When Wet.

Does anyone know what I can use to keep the black dye from running of leather when it gets wet? I am making a pair of saddle bags, the leather is veg tanned, I have used Midnight black, Eco-Flo dye. I gave it 3 coats of dye, and then a coat of Neats foot oil, then I rubbed some beeswax on it and tried to melt it into the leather, when I dropped a little water on it I still keep getting black dye when I wipe it with a paper towel. Obviously I don't want it to run if the guy I am making it for has a brown saddle and to have blackish marks where the saddle bags go because it got wet. So does anyone know how I can keep the black dye from rubbing off?

Yes use a different dye. I use Eco FLo Proffesional black, I don't seem to have any problem with it. USMC black will take a bit of rubbing after it is applied to get rid of rub off. VInegroon is the way o go if you want to take that route and it won't run or rub off.

At this point, . . . your best bet is to grab a couple of towels your wife won't miss, . . . lay the project down and rub it like you are trying to rub the black off that pretty brown leather. It will take some elbow grease, . . . but it will be worth it when you are done.

THEN, . . . find a large wash cloth (again something she won't miss), . . . wet this one, . . . have at it again.

Don't quit until you no longer get any black coming off the bag.

Then put a coat of 50/50 Resolene & water on the project, . . . and a second coat on anything that will touch the owner's saddle.

Next time, . . . use something like Feibings professional black oil dye, . . . but stay away from USMC black, . . . and cut the dye 50/50 with Feibings thinner.

May God bless,

Dwight

how do leather suppliers prevent dye from rubbing off? They have to dye at least a few hundred pieces a day. I can't imagine them rubbing each piece.

David; most professionals use Feibings pro oil dye. Properly applied, it will not run or rub off. It only requires a good buffing to remove excess pigment. As for the eco flo, you shouldn't need more than one heavy coat and then rub off any excess while still wet. I use eco flo pro and don't have any trouble with rub off. Gump

Thanks for the help guys, Dwight just out of curiosity why should I stay away from USMC black?

Thanks for the help guys, Dwight just out of curiosity why should I stay away from USMC black?

USMC black is a great dye, . . . goes deeper than the pro oil or any of the H2O stuff I've used, . . . but it leaves a pigment trail that a blind man could follow at midnight in a coal mine.

I used to use it, . . . got sick and tired (arms got tired too) of all the buffing to remove the extra pigment, . . . moved to pro oil, . . . haven't looked back.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thank you!