txlonghorn98

Wallets Stuck Together

OK, new to this...dyeing has been a challenge. But I stacked roper wallets to ship them and the ID holder pulled color. Is there any way to fix these? I have tried Acetone and re-dye but the spots still show. I have no problem totally re-dyeing but afraid to go that far. Otherwise I have to re-make them all. They have Fiebling antique stain as dye color. Then Tuff Kote to seal.

Sounds like the Tuff Kote wasn't fully cured. I've had that happened to me a couple of times when I was rushing things...

I had this happen once and I never got the spot to blend in afterwards. I even tried soaking it in black oil dye after I gave up on being able to sell it. That spot still stuck out like a soar thumb though.

Just the antique gel by itself will seal in the pores and prevent dye from penetrating evenly. If the Tuff Kote stuck together and left a bad mark then I would just cut my loses and remake them. Lesson learned....

You might get lucky and someone here has figured out the magic cure for it.

Edited by barehandcustoms

I wouldn't be afraid to go to far if your going to have to redo them anyway. I would try a rag soaked in deglazer to remove the finish and let completely dry(most times I deglaze twice), the antique is water based and shouldn't be that hard to remove then start over. If you can't sell them you don't have much to lose. I use that method a lot to redye or change color on old boots and they come out looking very nice.

Thanks for all the advice. I have cut out new ones to re-do but still may try to paint a logo to cover the spot since its on a bare back of the wallets. I even though spraying the new coat might work better than rubbing it in. It just looks like a spot that will never come out. even tried thinner...Thanks again!

Not knowing the exact nature of your project, you might be able to salvage your piece by "tastefully" putting a patch of contrasting color or textured leather over the offending area. I've successfully resorted to such measures before.

Michelle