You did excellent work there. I made a Freeman's Apron bag/case a while ago and the method you used did cross my mind but wasn't brave enough to try it. I've done it once or twice on smaller pouches but I've avoided it since.

Thanks, DavidsonL - Panther, above, had some good ideas for making it easier. I'll probably try it again and see how it goes. I was looking at your shop, and I really like that sheath you wear horizontally on the back of your belt. I was considering making something like that for my sister, sometime.

You do really nice work.

If you do choose to go into expensive leather, saffiano leather($8-9) and premium calf skin or box calf can be had for close to 10 and upwards of 15 depending on the tannery. There are retailers with stock within USA. A bag would look interesting with half and half, like a hybrid of vintage and high end. Either on the trims you could use high end calf skin or on select parts like loops, interior, handles, strap or bias tape style trim on the inside to bind invisible seam grain side stitched to grain side. Sanding, distressing(pulling and stretching) some mid level premium calf skin can give it a vintage look. Horween leather on that style of bag would look great too.

the inside would hold up with 1/8th inch with extreme pressure like laptop bags and whatnot it could be an issue. Its not as important when its done this way but if its done like an invisible seam then more pressure will be on the seams and if its any smaller than 1/8th it could have some problems. Also if its a bit longer like .7mm or larger on the inside (invisible seam both pieces stitched together and the excess glued) you can cover it up with trim. The thicker the leather the more pull( exposing the invisible stitch) it will have with the invisible stitch on tighter curves, not usually seen in bags that are this size.

If you do try out piping on the side of the bag send me a message, I'm still trying to figure out how to do it properly. As a side note going to the dollar store and finding things like toiletry bags, and pencil cases (with piping, zippers,invisible seams and snaps) is a good way to learn new ways of assembly for not a lot of money and is faster because the items are so small, requiring less stitching.

I draw my patterns from disassembling the cases, taping the entire piece, cutting the excess off (the tape) and transferring the pattern to paper and re assembling from the cut out patterns. Each piece I learn a little more and get a feel for what areas need to be thinned, which areas require extra attention, ect. Good practice for all around, sewing different seams, pattern cutting different shapes, understanding the leathers better and assembly (glueing, cutting, placement).

Do you know of a supplier that sells the Saffiano leather. I've been searching online but haven't been able to find a supplier.

Thank you, Buttons! I was just looking at your bike saddle bag the other day, and planning how to make something similar for myself.

@DavidL - ditto Ellacott.

Monica your work is clean and inspiring! Very well done =]

(I really digged the scales on one of your bags)

I have a couple questions for ya if I may pick your brain..

Thank you! Sure, just PM me or ask here, whichever you like. However, you may find I don't know any more than you do. :)