Jason311

Attach Ipad To Leather

Hey guys,

I had a request for a book like ipad case that will hold one of the hard shell cases. There was a member here that attached one to the leather and now I can't find that post.

Would rivets be a way to attach the case? I'm curious if they will make the case no longer fit the tablet.

I would also appreciate any other ideas. Thanks!

71BPY7LpTcL._SL1500_.jpg

Edited by Jason311

Rough up the back of the hard shell plastic case, glue it to the leather using a high quality contact cement like Tanners Bond.

Tom

If you wanted it to be certain never to move, . . . a series of drilled holes in each corner, . . . making an "L" shape, . . . say 1 inch long each way, . . . then saddle stitching through those holes, . . . that should hold it.

Because of the price of my Ipad, . . . I simply made a leather case for it to slip into and out of, . . . rather than a book, . . . plus it was easier and quicker.

May God bless,

Dwight

post-6728-0-91054100-1409831821_thumb.jp

post-6728-0-27551100-1409831840_thumb.jp

I like Dwight's idea. You might also check out some of the book type cases on the market. They often use plastic clips at the corners that are imbedded (somehow) inside the layers of the cover. If they aren't secured too permanently you might be able to take a cheap case and remove those clips and then install them in your case. I once tried to search for a source of the plastic clips just by themselves, but without much luck.

My Nook case has the plastic clips. If you feel the interior, the case is actually assembled around the clip which feels like its in a T shape.

Dwight's case looks great. I'm going to cement a shell onto a scrap piece, let set over night and see how much abuse it can take before coming off. I'll post my findings in the "why am I doing this?" section if the forum!

Jason

I tested three different types of contact cement. Tanners came out the best, and even developed greater strength as it cured over several more days. I have 2 BB playbook cases with Kydex clips I fabricated that have been in use for about a year now. No indication of anything coming apart yet.

Don't forget to rough up the plastic and the grain side of the leather it is being attached to.

Tom

Hi Jason,

I chose to stitch mine onto a

Rather panel first the perimeter stitch that to the cover. My only regret is using a hard plastic shell vs a softer one. The corners crack overtime as they are a bit brittle. I made the holes in the case with my drill press and marked the placement with a stitching awl first.

Good luck!

Paul

post-35245-0-67861400-1409939057_thumb.j

post-35245-0-53586000-1409939092_thumb.j

post-35245-0-87210100-1409939400_thumb.j

Nice Paul - that case looks great! Just for the record, the case requested is a Bible cover / ipad holder. The guy wanted to use the iPad while studying and have it all fit into one model. I've mocked up a model that doesn't look cumbersome. I'll post a pic once I finish it. This will definitely be a one off project though.

Here's the final product on this one. The cement is still setting.

All in all, it turned out well. If I had to do it again, I'd make the straps thicker.

post-51548-0-44486600-1410059212_thumb.j

post-51548-0-65155000-1410059221_thumb.j

Edited by Jason311