robb01

Thoughts On This Singer 29?

Im just starting to look for a sewing machine, after doing everything by hand. In what little research I've done, ive assertained that the Singer 29 is a good model. I found one for sale locally, they want $800, What do I need to look for, and is it hard to restore these to good working condition?

Here is the picture:

dHAZkPi.jpg

It is worth maybe $400, if it is in good working condition. By working condition, I refer to not only a freely turning hand wheel and butterfly shaped presser foot direction knobs, but a maximum stitch length of between 5 and 6 stitches per inch into 1/8 inch of leather. A tight machine will produce up to 5 stitches per inch. But, a hundred+ year old model 29-4 may only be able to move the leather 1/8th inch per stitch (8/inch), which is unacceptable to most of us. If this turns out to be the case, expect to spend a lot of time and money bringing it back up to normal sewing specs.

As for capacities, a Singer 29-4, if that is what it is, can only sew up to 1/4 inch of leather. It uses #69 bonded nylon thread and system 29x4 or 135x16 leather point needles, primarily sizes 16 and 18. The bobbins are tiny, but can hold enough #69 thread to sew two thin belts.

Do not even consider a 29 type as a production machine. These are patchers only. They are used to sew patches onto vest, fix purse straps, throw in a few missing stitches here and there, sew over missing thread on shoe uppers, and even sew new zippers into thin jackets or pants.

Another member is in the same situation - check his thread:

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=58911

I think $800 is WAY too much for this machine as it could be older than 100 years if it is a 29K1.

Due to the ornamentation I would say it is from the early 1900 - 1930´s but thats just a guess.

Check what subclass the machine has.

If you have the serial number you can also check how old this Singer is.

Restoration of a patcher sewing machine is not very difficult. I´m just in process of restoring my 2nd patcher machine but it is an Adler 30-1.

My 1st one was a Singer 29K73. It´s about the same machine as yours but much younger and technically a bit more ahead.

That machine in the picture is not a 29k anything. It is pre-k and only has the solid barrel take up driver. The K models had an adjustable take-up system, via a threaded part protruding inside the top rack, which forced the take=up lever to stay raised. I would say this machine is possibly older than the 1920's.

That said, anything made of metal can be fixed and brought up to specs. I once had a 1920 model 29-4 that gave horrible stitch length. I disassembled the head and applied bronze brazing to the puck that rides inside the round ring. After filing, sanding and then buffing it to a polish, I got a solid 5 stitches per inch into 3/16" of leather and only slightly less at the maximum of 1/4 inch.

Still, even at 5 stitches per inch, the machines are only patchers. The bobbins are tiny, the thread handling capacity very light and they still cannot sew more than 1/4 inch. Every leather repair and shoe shop has at least one (I have two 29k types).

And once again I have learned something! I think I never have seen a 29 w/o the K and subclass on this side of the pond. Thanks for the update Wiz :)

Thanks everyone for the information, I'll pass on this one, really looking for one I can use for production.

None of the shoe patchers are meant for production. If you care to post your planned projects by material, thickness and density, we can offer some better alternatives.

For instance, if you are sewing belts, straps and flat items, not much exceeding 5/16" inch total thickness, with #138 bonded thread, a standard industrial walking foot machine can usually sew them. Holsters, weight belts, saddle bags, pouches, cases and knife sheathes are best sewn on a full size harness stitcher, which has a cylinder arm, special harness feet, huge bobbins, and sews up to 7/8" with the thickest of commonly available thread.

Mainly small leather goods, wallets, pouches, notebook covers. I use 1.0mm tiger thread at 5 spi, is there something similar for machine use?

If you are near Portland oregon I have a 29k4 that is for sale for $350, works well.

But listen to wizcrafts, it is not a primary use machine.