Sign in to follow this  
cleanview

Is My Easy Bake Oven A Good Idea

I have made a box that I use a series of light bulbs to determine the level of heat and a timer to control how long it is on as I leave for work or go to bed.

What I was wondering is if there is some reason that I am unaware of as to if it is a bad idea.

Examples of use.......

1. After dying I may hasten the drying process at 100 degrees for 1-2 hrs

2. After wet forming I use it to speed up the drying process and hopefully harden it some at 100-120 degrees for 4 hrs

3. After finishing or sealing I set it in there 100-120 for an 1-2 hrs

I am not concerned about stiffening the leather (actually want it) as most of what I do is holsters.

Curious if this is not a good idea for some reason

Interesting idea. No worries about 'sunburn'? Light bulbs-assuming incandescent-are not the most efficient means to heat something; their purpose is to illuminate. Additionally they will be harder and harder to find because of green legislation. I've considered the tabletop/countertop toaster oven-especially those of the convection variety. Built in timers for most but the low settings are something I've not had time to research-need 150° and that's a bit low for an oven.

60 watt bulb keeps it at 100 degrees.......just wondering if hastening the process is a no no for any reason???

I use the top of my Dish TV receiver box. ;-)

I do an extensive amount of research on any new leather technique before I try it personally. Other than the occasional forgotten holster that gets scorched or burned in an oven or so dried as to shrink and deform, I'm aware of no other side effects from the oven itself. The item being dried should be supported and as free as possible, metal and glass surfaces in contact with the leather will glaze the surface. Of course, excessive temperature might cause the leather to burn.

I use the oven in my kitchen from time to time. I set the grates/rackes as high as possible and hang the holsters from thin wire hooks. Should be fairly easy to visualize, if not I'll take a photo and send it along; the oven is mess so I'll need to clean it up first.

Cool

I figured it was not a bad thing. Just looking for conformation I guess.

With winter coming on and my hobby room not always warm. It is just a way to hasten the process

We use a wood stove to heat our shop..Holsters and projects are are lined up around the shelving..

I use a dehydrator from Cabela's. They have two sizes. It circulates air and you can even get some real low temps as well if wanted. I usually keep temps about 100-115.

At one time I used an oven, but used the lowest setting which I think was 100 degrees. I used the convection setting as that circulates the air, where just the regular oven setting does not.