So I have been working on a IWB holster for my XDS. I put 2 belt slots on the sweat guard and design it so it folds over the waistband of my pants with the gun and holster IWB. The problem is every time I draw the holster pops out upside. No matter what style IWB I do this keeps happening. Really getting tired of throw crap out. What gives?

Thanks guys

Charles

Not meaning to bash you my friend, . . . but in a nutshell, . . . sounds like a lousy design.

Try making a standard pancake, . . . then instead of belt slots like you would use for an OWB, . . . make the ears a little taller, . . . put straps and snaps on it, . . . the straps go over the top of your pants, . . . down under your belt, . . . then come up and snap on top.

Tried and true design, . . . works like a champ, . . . and if you pull it out of your britches, . . . there is something else going on we just don't understand.

May God bless,

Dwight

post-6728-0-45129200-1413425763_thumb.jp

Show us a picture of the holster it will be easier to identify your problem or problems. I have to agree with Dwight that it sounds like a design problem.

Edited by camano ridge

Here is a pic. It's off a Stohlman design.

Did you try doing it "rough out" so is has more "bite" against your cloths? A pic of your prototype would help unless it's hush-hush.

post-37085-0-33828100-1413426124_thumb.j

post-37085-0-73455300-1413426185_thumb.j

Stohlman or not, . . . it's a lousy design.

An IWB needs rigidity to make the draw smooth, easy, and non eventful.

This design seems to defeat all three of those ideas.

If you are dead set on having this design, . . . it'll have to be steel lined from the bottom to "up and over" the belt top, . . . and I'm not sure that would solve all of the problem.

May God bless,

Dwight

Like Deight said it may have worked for Al who probably never heard of IWB. However it won't work for what you want. I am also a little confused on how you are using it for IWB. IT looks like it is a right hand holster, however if you wear it on the right side so you can use the belt loop and put it inside your pants as an IWB the grip would be facing the wrong way. If you put it on the left side as a cross draw you really won't have the angle you need for a good cross draw. I have found very few cross draw IWbs that worked well. Not to be harsh but if you want a good IWB, start over. Do a search on here for IWB and the WEB in general. I would also be willing to share and IWB pattern with you.

Camano Ridge thanks I will research things tomorrow. I would love another pattern to work from! Thanks

Assuming you are left handed?

If you must keep that style, you'll have to do some drastic changes. Like cut the flappy belt loop. Stitch on a reinforcement on that side with a clip in it. And make it a more standard single clip IWB. The shape has some promise, but the attachment point is a bad idea.

And honestly, tooling is kind of lost on IWB. If someone paid you to, go for it. But nobody sees it.

Just for grins, take the holster apart. Fold the leather back the other way so that the floral design is inside (not showing). Sew it up. Fold the "flap" the other way. Taking into consideration the apparent soft floppy leather, you would have the beginnnings of a right handed IWB.

Edited by Red Cent

Chief Jason, I will be the first one to admit that I had a MS moment and forgot to "flip" the design for my right handed draw. I have tried clips from Tandy and I have been less then impressed. They have one hole for a rivet. So the holster spins with a loaded gun (my xds). It's almost like Tandy had a design flaw with these. I tried this on 3 different holsters and the same thing on all 3. The first time I drew the gun the rivets don't stay on. The first attempt I thought OK I didn't have it tight enough but the other two there was no way I could have gotten it any tighter. So do they make clips with 2 holes that would be more secure? Or am I not securing the clip correctly?

Assuming you are left handed?

If you must keep that style, you'll have to do some drastic changes. Like cut the flappy belt loop. Stitch on a reinforcement on that side with a clip in it. And make it a more standard single clip IWB. The shape has some promise, but the attachment point is a bad idea.

And honestly, tooling is kind of lost on IWB. If someone paid you to, go for it. But nobody sees it.

Chief Jason, I will be the first one to admit that I had a MS moment and forgot to "flip" the design for my right handed draw. I have tried clips from Tandy and I have been less then impressed. They have one hole for a rivet. So the holster spins with a loaded gun (my xds). It's almost like Tandy had a design flaw with these. I tried this on 3 different holsters and the same thing on all 3. The first time I drew the gun the rivets don't stay on. The first attempt I thought OK I didn't have it tight enough but the other two there was no way I could have gotten it any tighter. So do they make clips with 2 holes that would be more secure? Or am I not securing the clip correctly?

FWIW, . . . Tandy's clips (and most others for that matter) were never intended to be riveted on and used as they came out of the package or off the sales hook.

They need a leather "sleeve" over them, . . . it keeps them in place, . . . the rivet is a "make sure" deal, . . . and positions everything so it can be sewn together.

As far as the rivets not staying on, . . . I'd have to see what kind of rivet you used, . . . and how you did it.

I rivet my clips to the outside piece of leather, . . .the sleeve, . . . using 2 piece brass rivets, . . . then glue and sew the sleeve onto the holster, bag, knife sheath, whatever, . . . and I've simply never had any problem with them.

May God bless,

Dwight

Oh OK Dwight that makes a lot of sense. I never knew that. I just figured it was self explanatory. Pop a rivet in the hole and your set. I will try it your way.... Thank You !

What Dwight said.

38BC71BD-E771-4481-94FF-120A18493948_zps

Gotcha now it makes sense. Beautiful avenger btw

Just a single clip IWB. Similar look though. Add a belt loop to the back and one to the ear and it would be a passable avenger. IIRC my first single clip started from an avenger pattern. I just reworked the reinforcement piece into a loop on the back and wrapped it around the throat on the front. That one is for a Kahr CM9, so not much to it. It's cute though. lol