theonechrissharpe

Knife Sheath - Dyeing Edge Different Color

Hey everyone.

So I've been wanting to expand my creativeness on my second sheath and dye the edges a darker color then the sheath itself. My question is what's the best way to do this? Would you only do this where the welt is and not the collar.

I just wet formed the sheath and am curious how you would go about doing this?

Thanks in advance.

Chris

This would ultimately be a personel choice.

If you dye just the edges ? apply an EdgeCoat. then a sealer such as Resolene, or Saddlelac.

Sometimes I use a stainless paddle to make the edges neat and clean, but it can feel clumsy, .

or sometimes I might use a sponge,

sometimes I might use a daubber, or even a piece of cardboard as a paddle.

Maybe this will help ? --------------------------------- Wild Bill46

I have, Fiebings Edge Kote in Brown and Black colors. Tis is all I use. Not sure if other colors are available, If using these, then

no dye would be necessary ! Not sure, but I think I might have seen a clear Edge Kote ?

if this is so, aother dye would need to be used, before that clear.

And I would coat all the way around all the edges. Hope this gets you out of a jamb ? ----------------- Wild Bill46

I dye all my edges black with Fiebings Pro oil dye. I dye the edge first. I found that the dye did not take as well trying to cover the other color. As a bonus, when you dye the rest if fills in any minor spots you missed.

I square the edges, then bevel them, then dye them. I found dying before burnishing let the dye get in the leather better. It takes a steady hand. I like the contrast colors. Looks great on brown and oxblood. And honestly, I never got good coverage from colors on the edge. The black takes better than any of the colors ever did.

DSC_0005_zps2d624d4c.jpg

If you just want to use dye, Springfield Leather also sells empty permanent markers that you can fill with your own dye. I've had good results using one of those on the edges. The larger size is a nice fat chisel tip that makes it easy to get a clean dye line.