Sharon Mallory

My Needle Just Started Hitting The Bobbin Case On Cobra 4

I've been having a terrible time with this machine all day yesterday and then today the needle hit the bobbin case! I was having trouble where the top thread was just lying on top of the leather and the bottom thread was up on top all the way. I tried to change the tension and that seemed to work for a minute and then I lost the bobbin thread while turning the wheel. I got worried it would make a nest so I took out the bobbin (which the white thread kept getting black oil or grease on it) and the needle is lined up to hit the bobbin case. I don't know what happened or how to fix it!! Can anyone help me?

No pictures?

Absolutely sure the the needle is in the correct position? If they are rotated or not all the way up, they can cause all sorts of hell.

Edited by Colt W Knight

I've got the needle fully up as far as possible. The odd thing is it was working moments before although the tension wasn't correcct! I know on my flat bed if I turn the wheel the wrong direction it screws it up the timing and you push a button to get it back.

I'm no expert...but to me it looks like your timing is off. Call Cobra Steve...he should be able to help. My Cowboy 4500 did the same thing and Cowboy Bob walked me through reseting the timing.

If that's as 'up' as the needle goes, I'd start right there! Possibly just moved the needle. I would ...

1.) Take the needle OUT (if possible) or if not ...

1a) Loosen the screw holding the needle and make sure it's shoved high as it will go (note that if you do this with the machine OFF you can both feel and hear it hit at the top).

2.) Remove the needle.

3.) Rotate the machine a good full turn (without needle) to make sure you haven't BOOGERED the works (you probably didn't -- so don't panic just yet).

4.) Having verified there is nothing else in the way, no other obstructions, replace the needle (all the way up), and try cranking a couple rounds without material or thread.

I'll get a couple quick pics shortly ...

Alrightey ....

Pic 1. Shuttle area, needle at TDC

Pic 2. Shuttle area, needle at BDC

Pic 3. Measurement needle holder to plate, needle BDC (1.050" -ish)

Pic 4. Measurement needle holder to plate, needle TDC (3.250" -ish)

post-13153-0-62973100-1416173920_thumb.j

Pic 5 Needle top position, clearance from plate not quite 1.25" (plus needle about 2" extension to holder).

Keep in mind, these are close-ish, as I'm measuring with a ruler at an angle... oh, and these measurements are taken from the spot shown by the arrow ..

post-13153-0-87543600-1416174215_thumb.j

Edited by JLSleather

So, I've never checked this stuff before - never had the cause I spose ...

Evident here, using the set screw for a pointer... when the needle is all the way down, the set screw is about 10:00 or so, and when the needle is up, the screw points about 4:00 (in rough terms) Yours pictured about 2:00, meaning it had to 'get there' AWFULLY early to hit the back side like that. So, timing perhaps, but I'm still thinking a guy check to make sure that needle isn't extended TOO FAR.

The picture stops for a second er two at the bottom position of the needle. With the needle fully "in", this is as low as it should ever get.

Mr. Meco is correct. You need to reset your needle bar and needle height.

First thank you everyone for taking the time to help me. :taptap: I am quite sure that the needle is in as far as it will go. I did try to call this afternoon to Cobra Steve but he hasn't returned the call. I watched the Al Bane video and I'm hesitant to try the timing at this time. I was unused to this machine and didn't want to screw up the tensions and now I have to mess with the timing. :oops: I don't know how you drew the arrow on the pictures JLSleather but it's impressive and I thank you. I wonder how the timing gets out of whack??!! Well I was hoping to spend the weekend sewing a new purse on the new machine but i messed around so long trying to figure out what was wrong and how to fix it that I didn't get much done and I resorted to using my flat bed. I've had this machine one month and still haven't really gotten to use it. I ordered new needles and thread though. Maybe I can try on Wednesday, I work tomorrow.

I think the needle bar is OK. but the machine is out of time. Call your dealer and maybe he can walk you thru setting the hook timing. It is not that hard to do but it is a new machine isn't it?

When you say the needle is all the way up, I thought you meant that the position of the bar was top of the travel. This is why I say rotate it without a needle. The pics show the same machine, working. So, forgetting the needle itself, you can set the bottom of the needle stopper (red arrow) to just over 1", and note the position of the shuttle and driver.

Truth is, there isn't much to these machines, and it's a bit sad the price they get for a few bolts and set screws.

Since you mention darkened thread and now have some issue in that area, I certainly would recommend taking the hook "stuff" out again and making sure there's nothing in behind there. I'm not sure if those pieces can even go in the wrong way (you'd think that would be made impossible, but like I said there isn't much to these).