Hi all,

I'm just throwing this question out into the ether because I got such helpful feedback on a problem with my consew 226r (which is resolved, thank you very much!). The issue I'm having now is with the clutch motor on my singer 20U. Suddenly it's very slow and erratic, as well as making the flywheel on the hand wheel become loosey goosey. I've tried adjusting the belt tension and cleaning the stop motion clamp washer assembly to no avail. Still very slow and weird. I'm guessing it's the motor-- maybe I'm focusing on the wrong thing, but when i disengage the belt and move machine via the hand wheel everything seems smooth and normal.

I just don't know where to begin with an electric motor like this. Nothing mechanical seems amiss from the outside. Any suggestions, similar experiences, or helpful links out there?

>>...making the flywheel on the hand wheel become loosey goosey.<<

There is nothing a clutch motor can do to produce that particular symptom, that I can think of anyway....I'd look REAL hard at the pulley on the machine again, and its assembly. It also could have worn away some of the mating surface that faces the stop motion washer. Like any other "domestic" machine, that mechanism will slip (even if all is factory new) if you attempt to sew something too tough. Enough slipping plus time equals wear.

With the belt off, does the motor sound erratic?

-DC

Thanks for the tips! Yes, I ran the motor without the machine attached and it seemed good. So I've targeted the problem to the stop motion washer assembly at least. Could be just a matter of a simple and cheap part. Onward... thanks again for the response.

See attached, Like said before, it's almost for sure the hand wheel / bobbin winding mechanism that is the culprit.

post-14272-0-49243800-1418912886_thumb.j

post-14272-0-83738800-1418912895_thumb.j