Realm13

Zippers...

Been working with making small bags with zippers and have been completing the bags just fine but I'm not happy with the zippers. They come off wavy. I don't know if that makes much sense but hopefully the pic explains what I'm talking about better. I just want it to lay down smooth. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

post-49655-0-22360100-1419125184_thumb.j

Looking at it with 70 year old eyes, . . . it looks like it is hand stitched, . . . and the stitches look rather good from what I can see.

But you probably did not glue the two together before you started sewing is my guess.

I machine sew, . . . so I don't have any choice but to glue first and sew later, . . . and it works for me. No puckers.

May God bless,

Dwight

Your right on both ends, hand stitched (thanks for saying they look good) and not glued. I thought leaving it free to stretch forward would reduce the wave which worked but not as much as I'd like. Dont know why I thought that would be better but sometimes the mind is puzzling.

I use seam tape, and keep zipper tight when sticking down, then machine sew. I put on one side of zipper on at a time. The trick is, when putting your zipper together, ( zipper pull ) make sure you teeth are lined up.

I used a premade zipper with stops already on it. Hobby lobby had a clearance deal and I have like 40 of them. Figured I'd buy a cheap hide and work with them.

I've been putting them to use for kids art supplies at my local church. I think I could make 30 of these things and the church could use them for something, so at least they won't go to waste.

On a side note since y'all mention machine sewing. Can a normal machine see leather or do you need a special sewing machine?

A home sewing machine may sew 2/3 oz . For thicker leather you will need a small leather machine.

For what you are doing, . . . some home machines will do it. Go to JoAnns fabric and buy their upholstery thread, . . . set you stitches for as long as your machine will make them to start with.

You also will need a #18 or so needle, . . . ask them at Hobby Lobby for leather needles.

I have two machines that will, . . . two that won't.

May God bless,

Dwight

One theory is the leather is too short and the leather is pulling closer and puckering, you could give it at least 1+cm per side extra to the top portion and side portion of the pattern so that the top wont look taught creating a wavy look.

If thats not the case you could try skiving where you have side pieces stitched to lose some bulk that may have some effect on the waviness.

I made a bag similar to this and the bag will naturally want to droop. To give it an exact shape you have to add stiffeners that can hold its shape.

Actually this is a classic case of "feed puckering" http://www.amefird.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/Minimizing-Seam-Puckering-2-5-10.pdf Scroll down until you see the photo next the explanation, and you can see that what likely happened is that the zipper fabric was being sewn "faster" than the leather. I bet if you glue it down after pulling it tight you'll see a huge difference.

Actually this is a classic case of "feed puckering" http://www.amefird.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/Minimizing-Seam-Puckering-2-5-10.pdf Scroll down until you see the photo next the explanation, and you can see that what likely happened is that the zipper fabric was being sewn "faster" than the leather. I bet if you glue it down after pulling it tight you'll see a huge difference.

Post 3 says hand stitched. But for machine stitching on a domestic type machine, bottom feed dogs only, you are right. So is something for. Those using domestic or industrial tailoring machines, this is something to beware of.

Tom

I left out the bit where I knew it's hand stitched, but in effect that's what he's doing, making one "fabric" move at a different rate from the other.

Thanks for all the posts. I think I understand the "puckering" idea. I'll be making another one at work tomorrow, see how the glue helps out.

For what you are doing, . . . some home machines will do it. Go to JoAnns fabric and buy their upholstery thread, . . . set you stitches for as long as your machine will make them to start with.

You also will need a #18 or so needle, . . . ask them at Hobby Lobby for leather needles.

I have two machines that will, . . . two that won't.

May God bless,

Dwight

I have a few home machines already. Looks like I just need to pick up a few accessories to try it out. Would cut down some time if it works. I like to hand stitch but I like to have options too.