Constabulary

Pattern Or Tamplate For Pal Rh36 Knife Sheath

I´m looking for a pattern or template for making authentic / correct knife sheath for the PAL RH36 Knife (6" blade).

This is a pretty simple one but so far I have not found anything close. I think they are a bit like the KA-BAR MKII sheath but narrower and they have a line 20 snap.

Maybe someone can help me with this.

Or does someone know where I could buy sheath kits?

post-31854-0-13763500-1419191143_thumb.j

what i've done in the past and still do today, is if i have the sheath or item in hand is to construct my template or pattern from the original item. sure you may have to tweak it a bit do to the wear of the item but you usually come real close to it i've never had any issues with anyone doing it that way ...

good luck

maddhatter

If you have the knife only, it should also be easy to create your own pattern. Trace the knife, lay out your welt around the blade, Figure the length you need to double over and tuck behind the hilt. Customize from there as far as location of the strap for the hilt, the slight narrowing of the belt loop area from the blade area, number of and location of rivets, etc. I did one in a similar style recently (for a very different knife). I'll try to post pics when I get home today.

A lot of these old knife sheaths didn't have welts! I've done several for old KBars, and the like. Your best bet is to just trace from a printout of the picture you just showed, and tweak it. There is going to be a little trial and error on cutting a pattern, but you should be able to eye it.

I didn't realize the old sheaths did not have a welt. The modern KBar sheath I have has a welt, but I haven't handled any older ones in the recent past.

Without a welt, the allowance around the outside of the blade can be smaller, which makes more sense when you look at the picture above. The pic shows very little space between the blade & the stiching.

I looked for my pattern that I mentioned above, but must have thrown it out at the end of the project. I don't think that I'll ever have to make a sheath again for a blade of that shape.