raysouth

Tubing--------

Hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas and now preparing for a great New Year.

I am seeking some small pieces of tubing that would fit over the tube on #0 and #00 grommets. Need to be about the length of a hand punch and not flimsy as I would like to be able to strike with maul.

My mind has gone astray and can't seem to figure out what I could use or where I could locate such tubing so thought I would ask the experts.

I have been using a small socket but need something that is a bit closer to the actual diameter of the tubes on grommets.

Any assistance will certainly help and perhaps wake up this old timers memory bank. lol.

God Bless.

Ray

Make a tool by drilling a hole in the end of a metal rod.

You might also ask at your local auto parts store about some steel brake line tubing ....

How about some pipe nipples from home depot

Thank you my friends. Finally got the juices flowing again.

Not able to do the drilling into metal rod, although it would be a great project.

Will have a friend take the grommets to an auto parts store for brake line and Home Depot as well. Simple tool and I probably have something, somewhere, in the shop but memory storage bank is locked up, or so it seems. lol.

I do have some brass tubing, left over from G Scale Model Railroading days but certain that it would be soft and curl after a few bangs of the hammer.

Perhaps, weather permitting, wife can get me out and about today and we can do the "finding", while running around town.

Thank you again for giving me the boost I needed.

God Bless.

Ray

Hi Ray, you can get steel tubing at a hardware place. I have some 3/8'' and 1/2'', it's very sturdy and should hold up nicely for that. I don't think the brake line will hold up but the steel tubing is strong enough to be driven into a piece of wood without bending or blunting.

Edited by Troy Burch

OK, I looked them up and got 11/64", and 1/4" ...correct?

I would knock them out for you on the lathe if you were closer.

See if a local high school shop class, or someone in the area with a lathe, or drill press can make them.

They are common drill sizes, and that is an easy peasy job, just a couple of minutes to make.

Edited by BIGGUNDOCTOR

I think I have a temporary solution and will test this week. Wife took me to Lowes and took grommets with me and found that metric deep well sockets fit the tubes very nicely, with no wiggle room around the barrels. I have a 1/4" drive extension that I will use and plastic hammer/maul should not harm the tool. Do not have to strike with a lot of force so hoping this does the trick.

Thanks to all of you and your ideas got me going.

God Bless.

Ray

The handle of the tandy maxi punch fits nicely over size 0 grommets. Mini punch handle might work for 00.

Ray

Thank you ENC.

Will also give that a shot next shop visit.

Much appreciated.

God Bless.

Ray